Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
No place online that's for sure....

you'll need to go to a Manitou dealer. They should be able to order it for you if it is still produced. There is no gaurentee that the kit is still made, but it likely is still available. If you insist on going mail order then contact online retailers BY PHONE, that are actual bike shops. Sometimes they may have things in stock that are not listed on their sites, or they may be willing to order the item for you and ship it when it comes in. Just be ready for a wait. This is not uncommon, Rock Shox, Manitou, Marzocchi, etc. don't sell parts etc. to the general public. They run through a distributor or Dealer net work for spare parts. So go see your LBS or start maiking phone calls.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got It!

I was able to get the part through Cambria Bike for 30 bucks. Now the question is, is it easy to replace. According to the service manual, it appears pretty simple.

Disassemble the bottom legs....drain all the semi bath oil.

Replace rebound assembly and reassemble bottom legs (adding 16 ccs of semi bath oil)

Is that pretty much it???

Do I need to worry about the upper portion of the shock at all? Stupid question, but is the motorex oil and semi bath oil separate (top and bottom)??????

Any help would be much appreciated, since I have never tried this before.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
You'll have to completely....

disassemble the fork, i.e. separate the lowers from the stanchions, draining the semi-bath oil first of course. Then you'll need to drain the oil from the damper. It is separate form the semi bath. To do this you'll have to remove the top cap from the damper side and pour the damper oil out the top. Then you can remove the damper shaft from the bottom of the stanchion and install the new one. Fill the damper with oil as recommended, re-install the top cap/compression damper assembly (if your fork has a compression damper), slide the lowers part way on and inject the proper amount of semi bath oil in each leg then button her up. Not too difficult, just a little time consuming and messy. So have plenty of rags on hand and do it where a little spilled oil won't hurt anything. The living room ain't the place! :D

Good Dirt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.