Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my '03 Skareb Super back from Answer after a rebuild. There were some problems with it to begin with, so I hadn't ridden it at all yet.

On my first ride, I noticed that when the fork rebounded, it made a sound which sounded like it was losing air - similar to how a tire tube sounds when you release the air from it.

I haven't ridden an air/oil fork before so I don't know if this is normal. I don't have a shock pump so I can't check whether it has actually lost air. Going by just the feel it seems to be fine.

My question is, is this (the sound) a normal feature of air forks/Skareb forks?

G

·
Probably not loosing air

If it was loosing enough air to hear you'd feel it straight away and within seconds the fork would not be able to support your weight and compress fully. I have a Mars Elite and it makes a similar noise, especially in wet conditions. I think it's normal.

·
otb club member
3,080 Posts
Normal.

precar said:
I got my '03 Skareb Super back from Answer after a rebuild. There were some problems with it to begin with, so I hadn't ridden it at all yet.

On my first ride, I noticed that when the fork rebounded, it made a sound which sounded like it was losing air - similar to how a tire tube sounds when you release the air from it.

I haven't ridden an air/oil fork before so I don't know if this is normal. I don't have a shock pump so I can't check whether it has actually lost air. Going by just the feel it seems to be fine.

My question is, is this (the sound) a normal feature of air forks/Skareb forks?
The more rebound damping you use, the more pronounced the sound will be, as the damping oil will be more restricted as it passes through restricted ports.

-Chris
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.