Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to se what the basic tool kit for SK650 upkeep looks like. What do you always have with you in the woods when you are working with the machine?

·
Zach Attack
174 Posts
We bolted a mounting board on the hood to hold a pack. This is a good safe place. In the pack, the most important tool we carry is the socket wrench for the track tension-er. I recommend swapping tracks back at base to get the hang of it. Avoid a lot of work on side slopes or the tracks can come off.

There are the other standard tools, (look through your unit to identify size and type) + pruners and a hand arbor saw but I also keep bee sting, first aid, water, gloves, glasses, sm trash bag(trail ribbon). Etc..
You can also set up PVC pipe to the arms to hold a pick for roots and a rake for rock. We have another small one for pin flags.

The back of the unit where you stand has a hole that we slip chain up through with a small stick as a keeper. This chain is attached to a chain link fence skid with a piece of 30"x5ft plywood with 4" curbs for fuel, water, other tools. This works like a cheese grater and cuts down high points and fills in low spots. We work a segment, then hook the unit up and move fwd another few hundred feet to the next hand finishing behind. Saves a lot of time back and forth.

z

·
Registered
347 Posts
You should also mount a fire extinguisher on the machine.

Good idea of using the SK650 as a tractor with a chain link fence to reduce handwork. I've seen that setup with a 2wd moto and it works great too.

·
Zach Attack
174 Posts
Have you heard of any case of these catching fire? We normally carry a firefighting pump sprayer for USFS, are you speaking of engine fire or fire caused by a spark in the forest?

We have a Rokon that is SWEET! unfortunately it is an older one that runs on mixed fuel so it smokes and is loud. We have used that to pull drags as it has a hitch, but it will flip you on the turns if you drag too much weight.

z

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.