Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Waiting to exhale.
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
forgive my ignorance but, what are those things around your ankles aqua?
 

·
Its only 1" on the map!
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
Missed you by a day

Aquaholic said:
Awesome ride today. Viejo Tie, Chiquito delivered bigtime!
No Viejo Tie or Chiquito today, just the SJT. I started the day with a bit of a bummer as right when I was making the final preps to click in I realized I forgot my FN helmet and their is no way in hell I would ride SJT without one. So we quickly formulated a plan, and the rest of my buds started climbing while I went to get my brain bucket. I would drive up to the top and meet them on thier way up to Blue Jay campground. So after burning up enough gas to buy a helmet I got to Blue Jay campground and meet them a few miles down the trail, turned around and went back up with them. I was feeling quite fresh, and I have no idea why these bunch of cardio-whimps were a little sluggish on the pedals :)

Anyway, I took a few shots on my really short version on the ride and here they are. (Funny how I take more pictures while climbing than when going downhill :rolleyes: )


The creek at the bottom trailhead


John cruising by


Erik the Red


Billy swooshing by


Billy with his "I'm gonna make this climb" face on


Billy making said climb.


Erik on the way down
 

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
well heck!

if I had known you were going to shuttle it I might have come along!

the pan shots of Erik and Billy came out nice.

I hit up Martha's on a solo ride since it's all I could get in. The place is a freaking jungle right now! mustard plants and other weeds 6-7 feet tall totally covering the trail.

the Martha's drop is getting nice and chewed up by those riders who don't know what a front brake is for though so some of the old challenge is coming back. The rain also eroded a bit of the smoothing work that was done so the trail is gaining some of it's old character back.

YR
 

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shuttle SJT??

You guy's shuttled SJT???!!! WTF? What a bunch of weenies.

Now, to really test your mettle, you must brave the PO guantlets on Viejo Tie and Chiquito.

Then, you totally tempt fate and ride Ortega Hwy back down to the lower trailhead.

That ride back down to the cars scared the crap out of me/us.

What's the best way to do this ride? Shuttle back up to Bluejay and then back down SJT?

Steve

PS Awesome pics, as usual, Bill.
 

·
Its only 1" on the map!
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
Aquaholic said:
You guy's shuttled SJT???!!! WTF? What a bunch of weenies.

Now, to really test your mettle, you must brave the PO guantlets on Viejo Tie and Chiquito.

Then, you totally tempt fate and ride Ortega Hwy back down to the lower trailhead.

That ride back down to the cars scared the crap out of me/us.

What's the best way to do this ride? Shuttle back up to Bluejay and then back down SJT?

Steve

PS Awesome pics, as usual, Bill.
The rest of the group did the right thing and rode up, I was the the helmetless shuttle weenie that day. :)

I would not want to do that ride back to the lower trailhead on Ortega Hwy unless it was a weekday. Too many nuts on the weekend. Shuttling from the Candy Store back up to BlueJay would be pretty cool and I would say for the most part guilt free. A double shuttle ride quite interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
I'm still down

Kinda wish I shuttled. Anyone else get sunburned or is that the burn from around Cocktail?
mtbbill said:
The rest of the group did the right thing and rode up, I was the the helmetless shuttle weenie that day. :)

I would not want to do that ride back to the lower trailhead on Ortega Hwy unless it was a weekday. Too many nuts on the weekend. Shuttling from the Candy Store back up to BlueJay would be pretty cool and I would say for the most part guilt free. A double shuttle ride quite interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
I wish you showed up Yeti

Id'a liked to ride with someone up the hill. :p
Yeti_Rider said:
if I had known you were going to shuttle it I might have come along!

the pan shots of Erik and Billy came out nice.

I hit up Martha's on a solo ride since it's all I could get in. The place is a freaking jungle right now! mustard plants and other weeds 6-7 feet tall totally covering the trail.

the Martha's drop is getting nice and chewed up by those riders who don't know what a front brake is for though so some of the old challenge is coming back. The rain also eroded a bit of the smoothing work that was done so the trail is gaining some of it's old character back.

YR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
San Dee-eggies

Yesterday after we got back from the Mexico ride I turned on Discovery Channel and lo and behold the video of Miles infamous descent was on "Sports Disasters".
Did anyone else see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,253 Posts
Sweet

Aquaholic said:
There's nothing like an epic ride in the Santa Anas and it looks like you guys got a nice one!

When I'm back in SoCal again, I'm definitely bringing my bike (RM Slayer)
and doing San Juan up to the Viejo Tiechiquito.

My next favorite is Bell Ridge via Holy Jim/Main divide
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top