Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
you will most likely need a 19" (L), but you should definitely test ride a L and XL to see what feels best. I'm 6' with a 33" inseam. I ride a large, but the top tubes pretty long. I just got my stumpy expert last week, and had to get my lbs to get their rep. to look around to find one for me. I got one of the test bikes, with only a few rides on it, for a cheaper price:thumbsup: . but the test bikes will probably be gone soon also, so if you want a stumpy now, you better get on it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'll second the L

I'm your exact same measurements (6'1" 35" inseam), and had a hard time deciding between the sizes. You could ride an XL, and it'll be more stable on the downhills at higher speeds. Another way to look at it is if you have a bike now, what size is the TT, and how does it feel? I got at 23.9" (L) Five-Spot, and my shop prodded me to stay on the L instead of XL. For me, they were right.

Stumpy
L - 24.1" TT
XL - 25.1" TT

-kcav

·
Registered
50 Posts
like everyone else said, try both bikes if you can but if you cant i think the large is better for you for a few reasons, 1. a smaller frame is more manuverable then a larger one esp. if you are a fast rider. 2. a smaller frame is lighter. if you get a frame that is to small you can tweak it by getting a laid back post and a longer stem, if you get a frame that is to big you are in a little more trouble.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ziguy said:
Then a L should also work for me!!!

For the crankset, should I put a 170, 175 or 180mm?
The bike will come with stock 175 cranks, which is what most people use. If your terrain isn't going to demand much pedal clearance, you could get 180. I had 180 on my old ride, and now have 175 on the new which is great for my terrain which requires pedal clearance frequently. I can't say I feel lots of difference in the pedal motion, but I also haven't done any back to back testing for analysis...I'm too ecstatic about the new bike to get off it.

I think the shorter cranks can be better for your knees in the long run, and there's that slight lesser chance of pedal smack, which while part of mtb'ing, does totally suck imho. I'd say start with the stock 175 cranks, but its not a huge change to go 180. Talk to the lbs too - maybe someone has some you can pedal around.

-kcav

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Ziguy said:
Then a L should also work for me!!!

For the crankset, should I put a 170, 175 or 180mm?
alot of people complain about the SJ having a low BB, and pedal smack. It hasnt been an issue for me, maybe riding style i dont know, but you may want to reconsider getting longer crankarms

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the stem lenght on a stock Large SJ FSR?

Considering my height and seam, should I use something longeur? What about the rise? 0, 5, 8 or 10°?

I ask all those questions because, as soon as I find a frame, I will order everything to build it.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.