Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My riding buddy and I both have 2008 SJ FSR Comps and have the same problem with our front derailleurs (Shimano LX stock) since new, which is that they won't shift from middle ring to small ring under any load whatsoever - have to really back off to shift at all. Has anyone else had this problem? It doesn't appear to be an adjustment issue (both are set to full extent the downstop travel bolts screwed out). Hate to have to upgrade to solve this problem. My first experience with direct mount front derailluers - the seat tube clamp style has never given me any problem. On the plus side I haven't dropped a chain or had chain suck yet.

cheers

CrazyDave

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've got a 08 Stumpy as well and mine has had the same problems since new. Sometimes it won't shift at all. I've never had a bike with LX on it before. At its first service it came right for 2 rides but now back to "normal". But you are right about the lack of chain suck. Been on 3 real crappy weather rides that would usually result in a couple of chainsuck occasions but not on this bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TreesAreGood said:
It sounds like the cable tension is too tight. Try loosening the barrel adjuster on the shifter a few clicks.
thanks - that was the first thing I did, and I also let out the downstop bolt a few revolutions so that the derailleur could shift further inboard, but did not help.

I'm wondering maybe whether it could be the middle chainring - I think it is made by Shimano like the cranks but maybe is only LX grade? Unfortunately the direct mount front derailleur doesn't seem to let you twist it around the seat post or raise it up and down like the clamp-style derailleurs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well you are not alone, I have a 08 SJ Pro, w/ a XT FD. I am running a Bontrager Race Lite cranks w/ Race Face Team rings. I too have to plan ahead for a down shift from middle to small. after let off it seems to drop ok. I have done every adjust possible and still have the issue. I have just learned to work with it. I have thought about dremeling the stopping point down to allow more movement but just have not brake down and done it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I dumped the LX right away. Pick up an XT E-type and remove the bracket. It will bolt right up. I didn't have any shifting problems till I switched the chainrings to Blackspire Super Pros. Started getting chain suck right away, and difficult shifting from the middle to small ring. The teeth on the Blackspire seem a bit sturdier than the rings from XT crankset I put on it.

I took the time and readjusted the low stop, the cable tension and then lubed up the derailleur with Finish Line, and it is shifting quite well once again.

It also is not unheard of to bend the shift cage a bit for best shifting performance. Did yours possibly get knocked out of alignment by a branch or something? That happened to me before, and took me a while to figure out the cage was actually bent.

·
Registered
122 Posts
An update. On Wed I went to LBS and they had the bearing they were supposed to order and sure enough they are a full compliment set with the orange seals. Installed them and smooth as butter. If you are having ANY issues with the bearings on the seat stays at the rocker talk to your LBS ASAP if they are any good at all they can order these as a WARANTY item. Now just waiting for the snow to melt (in a few months).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.