Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this may have been discussed previously. If it has I sorry but I couldn't find it. I noticed recently when I lift my bike there is a knock. It seems to come from the shock linkage. Theres a little play there and then the knock. This dosen't appear to be normal. Whats your experience? Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
73 Posts
PingaMan said:
I think this may have been discussed previously. If it has I sorry but I couldn't find it. I noticed recently when I lift my bike there is a knock. It seems to come from the shock linkage. Theres a little play there and then the knock. This dosen't appear to be normal. Whats your experience? Should I be concerned?
check this thread

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=75516

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
That thread is about the shock link making contact with the frame when the rear shock is fully compressed.

It sounds like you may have a loose shock mounting bolt or a worn shock eye bushing.

My lower shock bolt was loose after a few rides on my '05 SJ120. Others have reported this happening as well.

I haven't heard of anyone's shock bushings wearing out yet...like they used to do on the pre-2004 FSR XC bikes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I agree that it is probably the lower shock bolt. Just tighten it with the correct sized allen wrench. This bolt loosened up on both my 2004 FSR and 2005 FSR 120 after the first couple of rides. Once it is re-tightened once or twice, it seems to stay tightened.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No, i 've been riding my 120 for 4 months now and the only bolt thats ever came loose was the one that you've just tightened :)

The same bolt also came loose on the test bike i rode. It's strange that once it's retightened it never comes loose again :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
UKstumpyRider said:
No, i 've been riding my 120 for 4 months now and the only bolt thats ever came loose was the one that you've just tightened :)

The same bolt also came loose on the test bike i rode. It's strange that once it's retightened it never comes loose again :confused:
I have a similar problem with my 6 month old 04 FSR Stumpjumper but the bolt seems to be tight. Has anyone had any issues with the bush needing replaced? If so is it a warranty job or do I have to pay myself.

If I continue riding with it in the short term is it likely to cause any damage?

Thanks

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone having to replace the bushing on the newer, '04/'05, design bikes yet. If it's an '04, you'll most likely have to pay to get it replaced. It shouldn't cost very much, however.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.