Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size bike should I buy? I'm 6'2" and 170 lbs. I had a 1999 large FSR XC but am now looking for a new (used) bike. The problem is that XL bikes seem to be rarer than their large brethren. Is it OK for someone my size to ride a large (do I fit that gray area in between?) or should I definitely seek out an XL. All advice is appreciated!

·
ridin' dirty
81 Posts
We're the same size and I ride a large/19 Gary Fisher Marlin. From research here, it seems that bike sizes among manufacturers aren't quite as standardized as you'd think, so your best bet is always to try before you buy. Also, several folks have told me that if you're between sizes you usually want to go with the smaller of the two, I think the reason is for better control/maneuverability. When I bought my bike they didn't have a XL in stock to compare it to, but I feel like mine fits perfectly. I kinda have a long torso, and all I've done to adjust the fit really is slide the seat back an inch or so on it's rails. I don't feel cramped at all; I imagine you'd want to be at least 6'4" to need an XL.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Bike inseam will determine alot . Fwiw I am 6' 3" , bike inseam is 33.5 " and I ride XL or 21/22" frame . Throw a leg over a few different bikes , you will start to figure it out , ride a bunch of them till you find out what feels right . Good luck .

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Bike size

differs by mfr, and by model.

You need to nail the ETT - effective top tube length.

With your @$$ on the saddle and hands on the bars, the bike should feel like it was made for you and handle accordingly,even on a parking lot ride.

Frame size, like shoe size, is a guideline only; like shoes, keep trying bikes "on" until you find one that is correct in fit on the top tube.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.