Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a similar post in the what bike to buy forum but figured I post here too for more feedback.

I think I'm in between the M and L. Neither felt perfect, but the M had a pretty short stem. Although not perfect, both felt better than Treks or Gary Fishers. I can't decide between the M or L Specialized Stumpjumper. I'm 70.5" tall (5'-10.5"). My inseam is 33 in. I went through the wrenchscience sizing system and the results suggest closer to the M, should I trust this advice? My leaning is closer the M too but I'm not sure how much a longer stem or seat adjustment will perfect the fit.

I like long and big climb rides (20 mile, 4000 ft vertical). Dirt road and smooth single track is preferred but in WA smooth is not always there. My current ride is a L (20.5") Giant NRS, which at times feels too large but other times pretty perfect.

Any advice about sizing up or sizing down, or should I just keep trying other frames until I find perfection? It seems like any off the showroom models will require some tweaking, to what extent should I rely on stem or seat adjustments? My Specialized LBS seems equally happy to sell me either one without too much fit advice, so any advice offered here will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would bet with that much inseam the cockpit length would grow on both bikes. I am 6'1" and ride a L which is the most amazing fit of any bike I have ridden in 20 years. Now, is this on an 07 or 08? The 08 has a fairly steep STA (static, unloaded measurement I'm sure, but still...) and I would say a Medium with an offset seatpost in case you feel like you are too far forward over the BB. If it's an 07, I would probably just go with a L if it's comfortable and you can get behind the saddle. Remember, saddle fore and aft adjustment is to let you get your butt back out and compensate for your leg bone.

Actually, after thinking about it a bit more I would probably recommend a M for either model. The reason is that the Specialized Large size is usually longer than many companies' XL frame, so I bet the Medium is similar. Since you have such a long inseam, you probably have a shorter torso to offset it and might need to slide the seat back a fair amount to get your butt back and make up for your leg bone length. I usually recommend going to the next larger size, but if you can get by with no more than a 105mm stem on the medium then you should be set. I don't like using more than 110mm/0* rise stem as I feel too far forward at 120mm or more. However, my 105mm/8* rise setup on my 07 Large feels fine, and in fact could be shortened a little bit.

·
Registered
312 Posts
When I looked at my "07" Stumpy , I rode both . I'm 6 ft. tall but I weigh 230 lbs. Both felt good but I went with the large because I liked the slightly longer cockpit. But If you are a Tweener than try both my LBS let me ride them on the trails before I put down my hard earned cash.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Just remember you can always stick a longer stem on the M or a shorter stem on the L. The LBS might swap them for you to demo.

I am 6'2" barefoot. I bought a XL and put a 90mm stem on it. I want to change the seatpost for a straight Thomson but so far the Spec seatpost with the seat moved forward is working fine (except for all the CREAKS).

A "tweener" will come down to personal preference. I prefer a larger bike while others prefer a smaller more nimble bike.

·
Just ride!
325 Posts
Go with the Large Frame.

I am almost 5'9---the medium 06 Stumpy I had was too small.

I now have a large Epic with a straight seat post and a short (90mm) stem.

Go with the large--you will not be disappointed

A member of the local bike shop told me the Medium FSR frames are one inch shorter than the Spec hardtails in the same sizes--ie the Medium hardtail is one inch longer than the the medium FSR frames.

This was true for 07 and prior--I do not know about 08.

·
fight the system
410 Posts
look outside the box

i'm 5'10" and had the same problem. I solved with a pefect fit buying the womens L and aside from the paint job this bike is perfect! Here is mine FSR Comp weight weenied out down to 24lbs, normally i run 2.4 muntanos for the same type of rides you like, big huge climbs and big huge descents. Either the mens L or the mens M will be a compromise, its up to you.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just set up my new 07 Elite in a M. I'm 5'9'' with a 32'' inseam. Same situation with a shorter torso and longer legs. With a straight Thomson seat post and the saddle 1cm behind center my knee is 2cm behind the pedal axial. The seat post is quite high. It started as a 410mm that I cut down 38mm to give 115mm in the frame. I'm running a 10 x 110 Thomson stem. The bike feels perfect. Jakomonster is right, a woman's large is the perfect bike fit, but in a 07 there is only the comp and the expert. The same fit in a men's large means I would have had to run a 75mm stem. Too short in my opinion.

·
Registered
288 Posts
XL Stumpy for me.
I'm 6' 1" with a "true" 34" inseam and long arms. Like Lumbee1 I swapped out the stock 120mm Stem for a shorter 90mm and have a straight vs. setback seatpost. Fits well, but I also prefer a larger frame. I'll be using mine for some low-level XC racing and like to be more stretched out vs. upright. I do a lot of training on my roadie, which might explain my preference as well.

I sat on a Large, and that work have worked too. If I was buying an Enduro SL, I'd go with the large for the more upright geometry. However, different type bike = different riding style.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sorry for hijacking...but i got my SJ Pro recently and i got a Small size..am at 168cm/5ft7, with an inseam of 78.5cm/30.9". My current bike a Haro HT Actual Top-tube is 570cm using a ten cm stem while the new SJ is only 550cm,dont think i should stretch the cockpit with a stem pass 10cm? it comes with a straight Thomson seatpost, So am i screwed for getting the Small SJ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
brenden_su said:
sorry for hijacking...but i got my SJ Pro recently and i got a Small size..am at 168cm/5ft7, with an inseam of 78.5cm/30.9". My current bike a Haro HT Actual Top-tube is 570cm using a ten cm stem while the new SJ is only 550cm,dont think i should stretch the cockpit with a stem pass 10cm? it comes with a straight Thomson seatpost, So am i screwed for getting the Small SJ?
I'm surprised that you got the small, I'm 5" 6 and got a medium Epic a couple of months back. I like the stretched out feel of it, as I tend to ride fast single tracks rather than technical stuff. I tested a medium SJ HT at the same time and it felt pretty much the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
well am still building my SJ FSR at the moment...but i do feel i bit too stretch out on my haro which is two com longer in actual toptube compare to the SJ FSR...

by the way bryanm have you ever tried the small size? any comments?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.