Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Harshing my mellow, man..
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Hopefully soon I'm going to drink some of your fruit punch and invest in an 08 Stumpy Comp 29er. The sizes available for me to choose from are 17" and 18". I stand at 5'11", at the beginning of the day, and have an inseam of about 31-32, depending on how cold it is. I've never ridden a 9er before, so I have absolutely no clue as to what size to look at or how to size it even, compared to a 26" mtn bike. Is stand-over the same general rule-of-thumb? And should I actually try to ride the sizes before I purchase the bike?
I would noramlly, but I'll be getting it from specialized, as I work at a shop that deals specialized. Any help will, well, help.

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
so wait. You work at a spec. shop, and you cant sit on one? Let alone demo one?

Really, jump on both, and go for feel. I think you are right in the middle for either size. Depending on actual standover and other geometry numbers.

·
Harshing my mellow, man..
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In our particular market, there isn't a demand for 9er's yet. So we don't stock any, otherwise I would. I thought about calling other specialized dealers and seeing if they stock any, then going to test ride those, but I thought if I could just get a straight answer or something here, from the pros, then that would save some gas and be a little easier.

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
ohh got it. yeah its just such a close call with your height. If I had to guess, i would say 18.

but im no pro.

im 6'2" and ride a 20" feels big at first but i found its perfect for me.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
definitely try and get on one to see how it feels for you. if there is no possible way to sit on one, i would say with your height and inseam, a 17"- i find it to be a tad small than too big. fwiw, i'm 6'4 with 32-33" inseam and i'm on a 19" GF. a 21" felt too big- i might have gotten used to it, but it's nice to have a smaller bike (more control for me).

anyway, try everything to get on one- even if it's another lbs.

good luck!
ez

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.