Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that's 5'7" with a 29 inch inseam....What size Spot (09) would be best for him. He's currently riding a 05 Racer-X (small) and a 17" Specialized Stump jumper. No local dealer and he's really torn between sizes(small vs Med).

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
id think a med. the small will be rather cramped. im surprised he liked the tiny racer x but if so, well that opens up a can of worms all over my opinion. are there some local spots or other turners he could ride for a few miles?

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cactuscorn said:
id think a med. the small will be rather cramped. im surprised he liked the tiny racer x but if so, well that opens up a can of worms all over my opinion. are there some local spots or other turners he could ride for a few miles?
RX and Stumpie have longer TT's then the small flux. Med Spot gives no Standover, I sided on the medium for him cause the small would need a 100mm+ stem and a setback post to properly fit him. LBS is trying to track a guy they sold a Turner to a few years back.

·
whoa!
1,277 Posts
I've been having a similar conversation with a friend of mine who has a 30" inseam. I just told him to make sure he's
a) got at least a couple of inches sack clearance and
b) not to get fooled into a false sense of comfort by any setback seat posts and/or >100mm stems.

The 05 thru 07 FSR Stumpys have interesting geometry on the smaller sizes when you do the math :
the small ST works out to be around 17"
and the medium ST is about 17.5"

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
my line of thinkin is if a compromise must be made, always size for the cockpit, screw the standover. ya spent alot more time on the bike in the dirt than in the driveway posin for the neighborhood turner groupies.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
It depends on his riding style. At that height both can be made to fit, although neither one might be absolutely perfect. I am in the same situation between a medium and a large. Don't worry too much about standover, focus on the cockpit length.

A setback seatpost is not a means to extend the cockpit unless you have to accomodate a long femur. This is independent of size as the seat tube angle is identical in all sizes so if your friend's legs need a slacker seat tube angle to fit, they will need that setback seat post on both a S and an M. In my case, I need a setback post on the Flux but not on the Spot or RFX.

As usual, if the bike will be used primarily to get up to the top and then rip down and the focus is on the DH, then the shorter wheelbase and smaller cockpit will be more fun. If on the other hand the bike will have more of a trail riding and perhaps a bit of XC racing focus than the bigger size will be more comfortable on long rides. This doesn't mean than on the shorter bike you end up with a 130mm stem, just a shorter cockpit.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am 5' 7" 29" inseam and ride a '04 small spot. I have ridden medium spots various times and for my style of riding a small seem to be the perfect fit for me.Easier to throw around/ maneuver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.