Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I'm trying to figure out the correct size for my wife for her new Mach 4. She's about 5'6" w/ a 30.5" inseam. She's currently running a Turner Burner w/ a 22.2" TT; this matches up w/ the Pivot x-small very well. Since the Pivots come in more sizes than most, I'm wondering if the small w/ a 22.75" TT might be a better fit. She could only hop on a medium to test and said that she didn't feel _too_ stretched out on it.

I'm probably stressing about this too much since I can get pretty much the same cockpit w/ a 10mm stem change, but you want to get it perfect when plunking down almost 5K on a new bike.

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Dave,
I just got a Pivot Mach 5 this fall and was faced with a similar decision. I'm 5'3" with a 29" inseam and wanted a 22" TT, so it was a choice of going with a 1/2 inch shorter or longer on the TT.

I ended up going a bit longer (22.6" TT), the next size up, with a shorter stem and have not regretted it. I had test ridden both the Mach 4 & 5 and the XS Mach 4 fit me as well so your wife at 5'6" would probably be OK on the Small Mach 4. Plus the shorter stem may help the super quick steering on the Mach 4.

As you know the key would be to look at the total effective TT length and size stem on her Turner or on the Med Mach 4 to try to match it up.

Not sure where you are going to buy your Pivot but www.speedgoat.com does an excellent job of working with their customers to make sure the fit is perfect on any bike they sell. They have a comprehensive fit questionnaire and I have had a great experiences buying bikes from them.

Hope that helps and best of luck!
Cathy

P.S. your wife will love her Pivot, they are outstanding bikes!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cas-pa2 said:
Hi Dave,
I just got a Pivot Mach 5 this fall and was faced with a similar decision. I'm 5'3" with a 29" inseam and wanted a 22" TT, so it was a choice of going with a 1/2 inch shorter or longer on the TT.

I ended up going a bit longer (22.6" TT), the next size up, with a shorter stem and have not regretted it. I had test ridden both the Mach 4 & 5 and the XS Mach 4 fit me as well so your wife at 5'6" would probably be OK on the Small Mach 4. Plus the shorter stem may help the super quick steering on the Mach 4.

As you know the key would be to look at the total effective TT length and size stem on her Turner or on the Med Mach 4 to try to match it up.

Not sure where you are going to buy your Pivot but www.speedgoat.com does an excellent job of working with their customers to make sure the fit is perfect on any bike they sell. They have a comprehensive fit questionnaire and I have had a great experiences buying bikes from them.

Hope that helps and best of luck!
Cathy

P.S. your wife will love her Pivot, they are outstanding bikes!
Very helpful. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.