Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I'm looking for a frame for my wife. It's going to be a rigid SS, and she wants to try our a 29er. She's ~ 5' 5" and generally rides bikes with a 22" TT. I can't find any 29er frames with a TT even close to that. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

·
gray hair in my shammy
413 Posts
MightySchmoePong said:
Folks, I'm looking for a frame for my wife. It's going to be a rigid SS, and she wants to try our a 29er. She's ~ 5' 5" and generally rides bikes with a 22" TT. I can't find any 29er frames with a TT even close to that. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,
I think Niner's frames run on the small side. I'm 5-10 and went with a large. The medium felt small to me. I think it was Padre who said his wife is 5-7 and riding a medium, so I think a small would do her fine.
Voodoo makes the Damabala in a 15inch with a 21.5 TT and a 17 with a 22.5 TT

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the niner site.

Old_Bashturd said:
Dave,
I think Niner's frames run on the small side. I'm 5-10 and went with a large. The medium felt small to me. I think it was Padre who said his wife is 5-7 and riding a medium, so I think a small would do her fine.
Voodoo makes the Damabala in a 15inch with a 21.5 TT and a 17 with a 22.5 TT
The small has a 23.1 effective TT w/ a 74.5 STA! That seems way too big for her; that's actually bigger than the bikes I ride. I wonder if the website is accurate? I find it hard to believe that the sizing of frames should be different between 26" and 29" frames. I do like the look of the niner frames though.

Thanks for the voodo info. I'll take a look at those.

Dave

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Niner Fit

Dave,

The small Niner will fit your wife at 5'5". There is a difference in fit we believe for a 29er vs a 26er. We think a longer top tube with a shorter stem maximizes the handling of the 29er wheel. While not all may agree, it has worked very well for our frame design philosophy.

Chris
Niner Bikes

·
gray hair in my shammy
413 Posts
Someone on this board gave me the advice to go with the longer TT going 29er and SS and I'm glad I did.
Niner uses the EBB which has worked perfectly on my SIR9. I had a Vodoo Wanga, 26inch. I loved the ride and quality, but I had some problems keeping the sliding dropouts tight and aligned. Like the EBB system much better.

·
Always Learning
9,593 Posts
MightySchmoePong said:
The small has a 23.1 effective TT w/ a 74.5 STA! That seems way too big for her; that's actually bigger than the bikes I ride. I wonder if the website is accurate? I find it hard to believe that the sizing of frames should be different between 26" and 29" frames. I do like the look of the niner frames though.

Thanks for the voodo info. I'll take a look at those.

Dave
Dave,

My wife at 5'3" rode a 29"er with a 23.2" ETT and a 75mm stem with no problems in terms of fit for 2 years. Is there anyone in your area that has a size small 29"er frame that she could try out to help answer your questions?

BB

·
Registered
112 Posts
MightySchmoePong said:

Thanks,
Dave
Dave, where do you live? My wife is 5'4" and is comfortably riding a 16" (SM) Karate Monkey. We're using misfitpsycles FUBar and 100mm stem, and she says it fits her fine. In fact, she could just about use a layback post on it. If you're in / around the ATL area, let me know if she'd like to give it a spin.

Brandon

·
Misfit Psycles
2,767 Posts
MightySchmoePong said:

Thanks,
Dave
the diSSent has an actual of 21.5 and effective of 22 on the small size.

personally i have kept the top tube length the same from 26 to 29.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in the DC area

Tweety said:
Dave, where do you live? My wife is 5'4" and is comfortably riding a 16" (SM) Karate Monkey. We're using misfitpsycles FUBar and 100mm stem, and she says it fits her fine. In fact, she could just about use a layback post on it. If you're in / around the ATL area, let me know if she'd like to give it a spin.

Brandon
Thanks for the offer though! I'm going to try to find one locally she can try. Or I might just take the plunge. It's not the end of the world if it turns out that it doesn't fit, just a few bucks lost on the resale.

I was looking for something other than a KM since to be honest I'm not super thrilled with mine. Heavy, a bit sluggish and kinda rough riding. I'd def. want something lighter smoother riding for her.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.