Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 5.5 for a few years now and love it. I want to keep an eye out for a spider or maybe even a 5.5 for my girlfriend on the classifieds. But I want to get the sizing right. I haven't ridden with her as its all snowed over here in CO but she has an older hard tail Trek that I would take 50% of the components off of to do this if I find something on the classifieds during the next few months.
So if there are any female Intense riders out there that could help me confirm the sizing questions I would appriciate it.
She is 5'3 with I guess a 28.5 to 30 inch inseem(when we stand side to side our hips are about the same height). I'm 5'6 with a 30 inch inseem (short legs long torso) and have a small frame. I want to see if a small would work for her well. I'm pretty sure it would, just looking for verification. Of course it would be a lot easier to just fit her on my bike but with all the snow asking her to jump on my bike just out of curiosity would give away any surprise.
Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Girlfriends is 5'2" and rides a small spider with a 90mm stem (I think) and is very comfortable on that size. There's not a massive ammount of standover clearance so I'd think a small 5.5 might be tight with the taller fork.

Andy.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
DrAndy said:
Girlfriends is 5'2" and rides a small spider with a 90mm stem (I think) and is very comfortable on that size. There's not a massive ammount of standover clearance so I'd think a small 5.5 might be tight with the taller fork.

Andy.
Girlfriends is - More than one and you meant "are"? - Girlfriends are...

or

Girlfriend is....?

How many 5'2" girlfriends do you have? j/k :p

Anyhow...
I'm in the same boat. My girlfriend is 5'3", and I'm going to set her up on my old medium UZZI SLX. The SLX has a shorter top tube than normal medium frames, but I am hoping to find a good deal on a small 5.5 for her.

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
She will most likely need and extra small if they make them. I'm 5'8" 31.5" inseam and run a small 5.5 with a 90mm stem for more then 1.5 years. I have a friend who rides my bike occasionally and she is 5'6" and it is okay. Standover height is okay but I have banged the parts on occassion. The problem you run into is the stem length. If it is real short then climbing and keeping the wheel down is challenging. Also the females pelvis is different shaped then a mans so hip bone height is hard to use as a judge for inseam. Take her shopping for a new pair of jeans and ask her the inseam when shopping.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My wife is 4'-11" and rides a size xs 5.5 (stem length 50mm) and the bike fits her very well. Other women that are 5'-2" and taller that have tried to ride her bike found it to be too small for them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm 5'4" and I have a small 5.5. I use it for most of my riding and occasional XC/endurance races. I have my seatpost raised about 8" from the seat collar and I have a 90mm stem.

If you're a SoCal local, take her to Aliso Woods Canyon this Saturday. Jenson is guiding a ride there at 8:30 am and Intense will be there with demo bikes. Check out Jenson's blog if you're interested.

www.jensonusa.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.