Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally going to buy a bike after two months of agonizing over what to purchase. My wife is as happy as I am about this, I'm sure. I went to my LBS yesterday, rode a Trance 2, and knew instantly it was the bike for me - I will be placing my order at the end of the week. There is no delay in getting them right now, so it looks like I'll be on the tails with my new bike within a couple of weeks!

I do have a question concerning sizing, however, that I hope you folks here can help me answer. I rode both a 16in and an 18in while at the shop. Both seemed to fit me well (I'm 5'11" with a 30/32in inseam) but had two completely different feels. I felt "faster" on the 18in frame, but rather stretched out. I felt "nimble" on the 16in frame, and in a good riding position. If I had to make a choice right now, I'd go with the 16in frame. Is the geometry on the Trance that different that I should be on a much smaller frame? My current hardtail is a 19in, and when testing various bikes, I've been riding either 18in or 19in frames. The guy helping me out at the LBS is exactly the same size as I am, and he's riding a 16in Trance - in fact, it was his own bike that I took for a spin.

Is this common among Trance owners? I just feel like I'm getting ready to buy a bike that's too small and I simply don't realize it yet.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well I think that being 5'11" should lead yu closer to the 18" Trance frame. Was stand over a problem on the 18" and was the seat all the way forward? If standover wasn't a problem remember that the Trance comes with a seatback seatpost and longish stem - You could get a straight/normal seatpost and a shorter stem. I find the T3 I have a slightly "slow" steerer and I could reduce the stem length on it if I needed without it feeling to "twitchy". Get the LBS to dmake sure either the sadle is all the way forward and try a shorter stem and or a straight seatpost on the 18".

I ride a 22" and am 6'3"

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LyNx said:
Well I think that being 5'11" should lead yu closer to the 18" Trance frame. Was stand over a problem on the 18" and was the seat all the way forward? If standover wasn't a problem remember that the Trance comes with a seatback seatpost and longish stem - You could get a straight/normal seatpost and a shorter stem. I find the T3 I have a slightly "slow" steerer and I could reduce the stem length on it if I needed without it feeling to "twitchy". Get the LBS to dmake sure either the sadle is all the way forward and try a shorter stem and or a straight seatpost on the 18".

I ride a 22" and am 6'3"
Standover was a tad tight, probably about two inches, and I honestly didn't check the seat position though I'm sure that had something to do with the bike feeling a little large. I ended up ordering the 18in yesterday after taking one more ride on both of them. I will have the LBS setup the bike for me when it's assembled (next Friday, wahoo) and get the right fit. If feeling stretched out is still an issue I can always go with a shorter stem that has a bit more rise.

Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm in a similar boat with a trance 3... 5'10" 30 " inseam, 16 or 18? One LBS salesrep told me I need an 18; at another, quieter LBS, the teckie insisted I need a 16. So confused.

·
06Trance2
67 Posts
strumteachride said:
I'm in a similar boat with a trance 3... 5'10" 30 " inseam, 16 or 18? One LBS salesrep told me I need an 18; at another, quieter LBS, the teckie insisted I need a 16. So confused.
I'll be sizing a small tomorrow at a LBS. The guy already told me I probably need an 18 before he even had the bike (transferring it down from a different store). I hope that isn't the case, since I'm itching to bring it home... but we'll see. I'm 5'8" w/ a 32" inseam as well. By the numbers I'll probably have to wait for the special order :mad:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm 5ft7 with 30 inch inseam and ride a 16" comfortably, anything bigger would be too big for me but maybe I have shorter arms / legs than most of you blokes being a female - after all my husband is probably only an inch taller than me but has longer arms and legs (particularly noticed when adjusting car seat back & froth all the time between us!).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Size does matter

I am a clydsdale with a 30" inseam. I rented both the 16 and 18 for a day on some pretty rugged trails. Going up, I really could not tell the difference, but on the backside where I had some really steep drops I was able to move further back on the 16 and felt more stable. Most of my height is in my upper body, so on the street my center of balance seems to be a little higher...but while I am still researching whether to go Reign or Trance (just because of my weight), I do know that I will go with the shorter cockpit.

My two cents

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the 16" Trance 2 and I haven't been disappointed. Slight right knee pain, but I don' attribute that to bike size, since I got it on my old Schwinn as well.

I climb better and decend with alot more confidence with the Trance, which makes riding alot more fun.

·
06Trance2
67 Posts
Well, I just picked up an 18 and I think it fits great. Swapped out the stock stem for a slightly shorter one and it helped even things out.

·
06Trance2
67 Posts
Easton EA30, 105mm. I think the stocker was 110 or 115mm. It was a very small change but helped square up my upper body.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I am also 5'11", I have a 16 inch Trance with a 100mm headstem and a kick back seat post, for me the fit is just great. I was also initially concerned that it would be too small, but after a few months I am more than happy with the size and feel.

·
Five is right out
3,174 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that you're considering the 16" at all. I', 5"10 w/ 32" inseam, and decided the TT even the 18" Trance was too short (and ended up with another brand). Guess I'm just used to a really stretched out ride.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm 5 feet 10.5 inches and I think my 18" trance is just big enough with the supplied long stem and Thompson layback seatpost. Can't say that I feel particularly stretched and I'm not particularly flexible either. Bruce, at 5'11" I am suprised that a 16" feels right for you. Either you have a short upper body, or you like a very upright position.

I tried the bike-fit calculator on zinncycyles page:

http://www.zinncycles.com/fitsystems/default_ie.aspx

It's based on height to sternum, arm length and inseam and for my measurments, the calculator suggested a 17-19" frame, with a top tube length and stem more or less the same as my 18" Trance.
Mel

·
Registered
7 Posts
womble said:
I'm kind of surprised that you're considering the 16" at all. I', 5"10 w/ 32" inseam, and decided the TT even the 18" Trance was too short (and ended up with another brand). Guess I'm just used to a really stretched out ride.
Sorry, my bike is a size 18 not 16 as quoted. I know perfectly well it is an 18, but somehow I hit the wrong keys. You are right a 16 is too small for my size, the only question is should it be an 18 or a 20, the 18 just felt a bit more compact for my size.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm 5'9 and I ride a 18" Trance myself. Perfect fit. You might even be a 20" It's all about distance and length of stroke. So my suggestion is the 18". Though suggest trying a 20".

What year is your trance 2 and how much are you spending on it total cost?

·
Registered
292 Posts
16" trance at 5'8"

I think I am evenly sized, upper and lower body.
I would say 5'8" is probably as tall a person a 16" could handle.
I use a 400mm seatpost, almost at its limit.
With a 100mm stem the cockpit feels tight, but that is how I prefer it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts