Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
slowrider said:
I'm 5'6" with a 28 inch inseam and I'm on a Medium. Anyone taller than I am especially with longer legs would have too much seatpost above the frame.
How much is too much?

I'm 5'8.5" with a 32" (true inseam) and I ride a medium 5 spot. It fits great. There's about 9 -9.5" of post showing. Is that too much?

btw.....Check some of the pics of people's spots....You may notice that many of them have a lot of post showing.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Too much?

Blue Shorts said:
How much is too much?

I'm 5'8.5" with a 32" (true inseam) and I ride a medium 5 spot. It fits great. There's about 9 -9.5" of post showing. Is that too much?

btw.....Check some of the pics of people's spots....You may notice that many of them have a lot of post showing.
I dont know how much is too much but I would try to keep it as short as possible with as long as you have enough standover. The longer the post the more stress on the seat tube/ top tube, and the post. I've seen a few frames crack at the welds from riding too small of a frame. At least thats what the manufacturer blamed it on.

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
What stem...

are you "medium" guys using?

I'm torn between small and medium too.

I'm 5' 6.75" with a true inseam of 30.8." My current ride [a hardtail] has an effective TT of 22.83" and I'm using a 80mm 10deg stem. I still feel a bit stretched out. Could I just be lacking in the flexibility department? :confused:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well, we are probably very close in height, Im 5' 6 1/2-3/4" or so, and have a 29"-30" inseam. Im currently running a 70mm stem, I will note though that I dont have alot of time on the Spot yet, but the around the block rides tells me it feels pretty good. I have a small Yeti 575 with a 22.4" top tube, about 2mm's longer than the small Spot I guess, it feels good but does feel kinda short. I also run riser bars too, they also help with the reach.
The med Spot is easy for me to pull up on the bars with a small amount of pressure on the pedal stroke to lift the front wheel, again the riser bars and short stem combo helps.
Do you live anywhere in the OC area of Socal? If so you can try my Spot out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
rensho said:
Am I in between sizes?

TIA
i'm about 5'9", 30" inseam.
my spot is a medium that i think fits quite well
i'd say you will be fine on a medium too.
taking into acount that you are smaller than me with about the same inseam i'd suppose a large frame might be to long (TT) for you
but that certainly depends on your preferences

but you will need a long seatpost
i use a race face xy post (setback, 400?mm)
you will have to make sure two things:

- sufficient insertion of the seatpost according to the post's manufacturer (O.K. with mine)
- sufficient insertion of the seatpost according to the frame manufacturer
I don't know of any recomandations by Turner on that
normally you would say you are on the safe side if the seatpost reaches below the upper end of the top tube inside the seat tube (tight, but O.K. with mine too)

Am I right there?

I use a adjustable stem (syntace) which I think is great as you can try out different positions and tweak your bike to fit the trail

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just the feedback i needed guys. looks like i'm a med for sure. now on to paying for the bike...
I come from a small racerx, and only show 9" of seatpost from seat rail to top of clamp, which is not a lot. On a 110 stem, i fit perfectly with a little room on the top tube length to move around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.