Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at getting a haro escape 8.3. unfortunately i cant find out like size relative to other bikes, being that they only go up to large, but they also have an extra small kinda throws me off. im looking for a 21 inch frame because im 6'7". i rode a jamis komodo but it was stolen a week or 2 back. so im looking for something a little tougher framewise and the haros look great. so if anyone can clue me in on size id appreciate it.

i tried comparing the geometry, and it seems like the the haro is longer , hwich is good, but im having a tough time deciding what the height of the bike is like (bottom bracket to top tube) and i cant quite figure it out. thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
hey man sorry to hear about your bike getting ganked... but luckily you have seen the light and are looking at haros!!! :D

i bought a haro escape 8.2 in the med size but like butters i found it pretty big and im about 171cm as well.. so i was lucky enough to find someone that was selling their 8.3 frame in the small (15.5 inch) and it made ALL the difference! that and i upgraded to basically all 8.3 parts.. but at your height i would be going for a large or a med...

best for you to go in and test ride the bike.

my 2c good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys, DAvo that is one sweet looking bike i really like it. you said you ride a small and you are about 5'7" (i checked a measuring tape). Do you ride it on trails or is it more of freeride/urban assault/jump bike for you ? the hard thing for me is that no one around me ever has bikes my size, so they always have to order them in special and i have to put down a 200 dollar deposit, and if i dont like the bike when it gets here , i just threw away 200 dollars pretty much. i really appreciated in input guys thanks alot

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
i dunno

what kinda riding are you doing? i am 6'2" and i was on the deciding point. i got a medium so that i could do urban and be able to throw the bike around a bit more. but your a lot bigger than me. i think that unless your going to use it for only urban dj stuff that a large would be good.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
At 6'7" you will want the largest one (Large size in this case). Even then it may be too small if you are going to use it for XC type riding. The seat tube on the large is 21.5" center bb to top of seat tube. I'm 6'3" and the large fits me fine.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Big Moosey said:
i like urban/freeride. but most of my friends ride xc so ill have to be able to do a fair ammount of that too. but mostly what i like to do is freeride/urban
Personally, I'd still say go for the Large for your 6'7" size. I feel comfortable, at 6'3", on the Large on XC rides with the post up and with the seat down, it's a good size for me for urban type riding. However, I know someone who's 6'4" or 5" and he rides the small size but on that size, he's only riding dirt jums.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah im definitely going to go for a large, im even concerned about if the large will be big enough for me. i am assuming it will be like a 21 inch frame size. my 21 jamis fit like a glove, i sometimes wished it was longer (which the haro is longer then the jamis so thats good).

but at 6'3" do you ever feel cramped or do you feel like you can stretch out well >? i know i should just find a test ride, but no one around here has any larges in stock. and they wont order without a deposit

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Big Moosey said:
yeah im definitely going to go for a large, im even concerned about if the large will be big enough for me. i am assuming it will be like a 21 inch frame size. my 21 jamis fit like a glove, i sometimes wished it was longer (which the haro is longer then the jamis so thats good).

but at 6'3" do you ever feel cramped or do you feel like you can stretch out well >? i know i should just find a test ride, but no one around here has any larges in stock. and they wont order without a deposit
With a 120 length stem on it, it is nice and stretched out - XC like. My height is mainly in my legs and my arms are long too. I also ran it with a 70mm DH type stem that felt good for urban riding. Manuals and stair drops felt good with the shorter stem and dropped seat. The Haro's have a fairly long top tube relative to other bikes out there.

Since you are so tall, you might like the Titec Knock Scoper seat post. It goes from 410mm down to 275mm very easily. Check it out http://www.titec.com/items.asp?deptid=4&itemid=135

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that titec looks sweet, ill probably end up addint that to whatever bike i get.

i was comparing the geometry again ( i have been non stop) to the Jamis (my old bike) and i just compared it to the "huge" (fits guys from 6'2" to 6'10") size banshee morphine frame and it seems to me that the haro in a large would actually fit me fairly well based on the geometry specs. i called every haro dealer around here and they say they all only deal the BMX bikes and they can order me one but ill have to put in a deposit on it first. so if i decide to get it ill have to be fairly sure of a fit first.

im almost positive that the stretch of the top tube will be perfect for me, the only thing i worry about now is the pedal stroke and the measurement from BB to Top tube (which i dont think they give on haros site, and if they do , they label it something else).

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Big Moosey said:
that titec looks sweet, ill probably end up addint that to whatever bike i get.
That and probably a stiff set of springs for the fork. I'm only 175 so the stock springs were good for me.

Big Moosey said:
i called every haro dealer around here and they say they all only deal the BMX bikes and they can order me one but ill have to put in a deposit on it first. so if i decide to get it ill have to be fairly sure of a fit first.
That's the tough one. Luckily there's a Haro dealer in my area.

Big Moosey said:
the only thing i worry about now is the pedal stroke and the measurement from BB to Top tube (which i dont think they give on haros site, and if they do , they label it something else).
I know the distance from center BB to the top of the seat tube is 21.5" on the Large. I measured mine and the distance is 18 1/8". Let me know if you want other measurements and I'll hep you out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it seems like the haro is roughly the same size as my jamis was (except longer which is good). now all i have to do is find someone that has one or get someone to order it in for me. thanks for all your help guys. im going to get the haro

·
Registered
54 Posts
great to hear your going with the haro!
sorry took me a while to reply. i mainly use my bike for urban/communting thats why i like the small size..

keep us informed on how things turn out, and post a pic of your beast when it arrives :) good luck! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah i decided tonight its going to be the Haro 8.3 . I was looking at the Marin Rocky Ridge as another bike, as it only costs 1000 and the haro is 1350 (suggested... who knows street price). so it will take me 2 weeks or so to be able to go grab up the haro. I may go in and order one soon and ask the bike shop to sit on it for a couple weeks untill i can get it all paid. just to make sure i get one.

ill be sure to post pics of her. im sure she'll be a big beastly thing. thanks for all the help guys.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Haro is particularly weird...

in that they rate the sizes by a seatube C-C measurement. In other words, center of BB shell to center of where the toptube would intersect the seattube. But then the seattube might extend above another 1.5 ot 2" and you end up seeing folks with very little seatpost sticking out of their frames.

I put a 15.5" Haro Werks XCT together for a friend a few years ago, and she's about 5'8", and she's got only like 4" of exposed post shaft. Everytime I see her bike I think I sold her the wrong size frame.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i notices that the seat tube goes about an inch to 2 inches over the top tube, and i dont really thing that makes a whole lot of difference with me, especially being so tall, i wont have to have the seat tube extended to its maximum allowable height. i can have some left down in the seat tube still which will add to stiffness/durability (so it seems, correct me if im wrong).

do you think that the 15.5 (small) was too big for your 5'8" friend ? if you do , that is good news for me because im 6'8" and am hoping a large will fit me. i dont ahve really long arms and legs, im just kinda average build so it should be pretty good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well im back , and now im trying to decide on getting an 8.2 or an 8.3. i know the 8.3 is better, but i am still a pretty new rider and dont know if id notice the difference. also the 8.2 is a lot cheaper. If i went with the 8.2 i would be able to get it next weekish. but if i want the 8.3 i will have to wait a while (a few weeks) untill i can scrape together enough cash to cover the price difference.

i need some guidance on this. im sold on haro , but i just need to know which one.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Big Moosey said:
well im back , and now im trying to decide on getting an 8.2 or an 8.3. i know the 8.3 is better, but i am still a pretty new rider and dont know if id notice the difference. also the 8.2 is a lot cheaper. If i went with the 8.2 i would be able to get it next weekish. but if i want the 8.3 i will have to wait a while (a few weeks) untill i can scrape together enough cash to cover the price difference.

i need some guidance on this. im sold on haro , but i just need to know which one.
The big difference between the two bikes is in the fork, wheels and brakes. The 8.2 has Hayes mechanicals which aren't bad but don't cost nearly as much. If you went with the 8.2, you could upgrade the fork to anyhting you want. The frame is the same between the two models so the 8.2 is very upgradeable. Tough decisions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Big Moosey said:
im looking at getting a haro escape 8.3. unfortunately i cant find out like size relative to other bikes, being that they only go up to large, but they also have an extra small kinda throws me off. im looking for a 21 inch frame because im 6'7". i rode a jamis komodo but it was stolen a week or 2 back. so im looking for something a little tougher framewise and the haros look great. so if anyone can clue me in on size id appreciate it.

i tried comparing the geometry, and it seems like the the haro is longer , hwich is good, but im having a tough time deciding what the height of the bike is like (bottom bracket to top tube) and i cant quite figure it out. thanks
Good man going with a Haro. I ride an upgraded Haro XLS R5 ('04 model) myself. If all else fails, you can always go to Haro's homepage (Click me ) and look up the sizes and such. It may not be the same as actually sitting on the bike and taking her for a spin, but it will give you and idea on what to expect.

You can't go wrong with a Haro. I've been riding their bikes since I was on the BMX scene (1984), and I still have my original bike...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.