Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

NOOB here again... :) (Thanks for being patient with my questions) I am concerned about what size Mojo I should get.:confused:

According to the sizing chart and talking to a couple dealers I should get a large HD. I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam. My legs and torso are probably pretty normal in proportion.

I demo'd a medium Mojo SL yesterday (hard to find an HD to demo) to get an idea of size. It had a 70mm stem and, although it was a touch cramped on the xc trails, on the sketchy, fast downhill sections it felt just about right.

There was a large old school Mojo at the shop with an 80mm stem and sitting on the bike it felt too big. I want to poll all the Mojo HD riders here on their height and bike size (if you feel so inclined you can mention your stem length too).

The last thing I want to do is buy a $6K bike and be disappointed with the size. My last bike was a med 1st gen Nomad with a 50mm stem and it was just about perfect.

I will be primarily using the bike for up and down riding (granny to top, bomb to the bottom)

What is the size of your HD and your height please?

BTW, the Mojo SL rode great. The fork was a bit spindly (Fox 32) but the handling was remarkable. :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm 6'2"
XL HD
180 Fork
50mm stem/0-rise
762mm bar/0-rise
Also straight(no offset) post with saddle little forward of middle.
I use the bike for everything and the kitchen sink riding, and I would not want to go smaller. The top tube lengths on the HD are not super long.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
6'1"
XL HD
160mm fork
60mm/0-rise stem
725mm low rise handlebar

Occasionally the XL feels a little big for me. So I tried a 45mm stem and the fit was better but I did not like how it handled. A large with 60mm might be better, but then I'd have 10" of seatpost showing. I've slide my seat all the way forward and now it feels better.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm you height and went for a med classic, when I get an HD it will be a large (the med was just a touch cramped but not so much to ever be an issue). On the HD I will prob run 50/60mm stem. I run a 70 on the classic

Chris

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
6'2"/ 34" inseam

Size XL
Stem 70mm
28" wide riser bars
Joplin Setback seatpost

Bike fits but is freakin tiny, wish it had a 10mm longer Toptube, If it made the wheelbase 10mm longer that would be fine too

·
Registered
17 Posts
i think it matters on the type of riding you do or background riding. Ive raced some dh and find shorter bikes great for play on jumps and bmx/ 4X tracks but for going quick down or going up you need the stability of the longer wheelbase or more room up front so as not to cause issues going up.
Trying a standard mojo medium seemed really short, plus i ride with a 50mm stem so a large was the answer. i currently have a 2010 spesh enduro in large, which has a huge wheelbase and is great down but to much in switchbacks etc this is much bigger than the mojo hd large.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, everyone, for your input. The more I consider it, I think the large is the better choice - especially because I like a short stem and usually cut my bars down an inch on each side.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry to bump a (sorta) old thread, but I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an HD and am not totally sure about size.

I'm 5'-6", currently riding a small Turner 5-Spot (old Horst one). Effective top tube is about 22.6", and I'm running a 100mm stem. Fit is good, perhaps a hair on the small side but I like a bike I can muscle around. My other bike is a custom 29er SS, which has a 23.0" top tube with an 80mm stem, and also feels comfortable.

The small HD seems really small (listed geometry is 22.2"). The medium is longer (23.1"). I was leaning towards the medium with a 70mm or so stem, but I contacted Ibis and they recommended the small for me.

I'll also add that I've ridden a friends medium Mojo SL and it felt great, though I forget what length stem he's running (probably 70-80mm).

What say you? I see one person my height posted already in this thread, and he was on a medium HD.

·
Registered
41 Posts
jabberwocky said:
Sorry to bump a (sorta) old thread, but I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an HD and am not totally sure about size.

I'm 5'-6", currently riding a small Turner 5-Spot (old Horst one). Effective top tube is about 22.6", and I'm running a 100mm stem. Fit is good, perhaps a hair on the small side but I like a bike I can muscle around. My other bike is a custom 29er SS, which has a 23.0" top tube with an 80mm stem, and also feels comfortable.

The small HD seems really small (listed geometry is 22.2"). The medium is longer (23.1"). I was leaning towards the medium with a 70mm or so stem, but I contacted Ibis and they recommended the small for me.

I'll also add that I've ridden a friends medium Mojo SL and it felt great, though I forget what length stem he's running (probably 70-80mm).

What say you? I see one person my height posted already in this thread, and he was on a medium HD.
It seems that we are similarly sized, and I ride a medium Mojo, but my friend just picked up a medium HD, and I am starting to get big bike envy. My Mojo fits me very well on the uphills, but I wish it was just a tad bit smaller sometimes on the downhills, although I still control it well and feel comfortable. Just spinning around on his medium HD tonight, it felt like a lot of bike, especially for the tech'ie downhills and ledges of Moab.

Having said that, I pulled out my old 16" Moots YBB SL and rode it around on the bar loops in Moab this past weekend and it felt absolutely perfect, but the effective top tube is 22.5" +- .25" which seems a bit longer than on the small HD. Any feedback from riders that feel their small HD is a bit small for them, or medium HD riders that feel it's too big?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.