Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

first of all, sorry for my english, I am french guy...;)
I want to buy a '04 heckler, and my size is 1.80m, which is I think 70,8"....
if I check SC website, I am between M and L...I practice "enduro" (I climb what I dowhill), and not DH or freeride...and i love small stem...

What size do you think for me ?

thanks in advance,

·
Registered
530 Posts
i'd def. go with the medium from what you've described. i'm 6'2 and will be riding a large with hopefully a shorter stem. i can't imagine that if you're 5'9, and want to ride a short stem that a large would afford you that setup. i'd start with the medium and maybe a 50mm stem, if its not 'enduroish' enough, you can always add a longer stem or swept back seatpost. i think the medium will give you what you're looking for. good luck.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey,

I am 5'10" and have owned two Hecklers, both sized large. I use a 90mm Thompson stem, and the cockpit is perfect for me. When I tried my friends med, I felt alittle cramped, but that may just be.

Justin Hlavin

G

·
mikmig,

I am also 5'9" (approx 160 lbs without gear) and ride a medium Heckler with a 70 mm stem. But with a 70 mm stem, it is set up with slightly more of a free-ride'ish feel (upright position), rather than for all day cross country riding. I think that if I were more concerned about "stability," rather than "flickability," then I'd consider a large. But personally, I like the shorter feel of the medium's cockpit and I fine-tuned it from there based on my riding style, with the stem length, bar height and headset spacers. Good Luck.

idig2000

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am also 5'9" and have a medium Heckler frame on its way. I ride more cross country but like a relaxed position. I have a cheap 100mm stem I will use to start with and then get a better one once I decide on size. The only thing I am concerned with is if I will need a straight or layback seatpost to get proper position (inseam is 30"). Those around my size, what type of seatpost are you all running?

G

·
GTV8 said:
I am also 5'9" and have a medium Heckler frame on its way. I ride more cross country but like a relaxed position. I have a cheap 100mm stem I will use to start with and then get a better one once I decide on size. The only thing I am concerned with is if I will need a straight or layback seatpost to get proper position (inseam is 30"). Those around my size, what type of seatpost are you all running?
GTVI,

I have a straight Thompson post (my inseam is 31").

idig2000

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your feedback !
I prefer stability and i love very short stem, so I think i will choose the L.

By the way, the BB is a 68mm, but what is the spindle length ?

·
Registered
471 Posts
mikmig said:
By the way, the BB is a 68mm, but what is the spindle length ?
Here is a quote from the Heckler FAQ on the Santa Cruz website

What size bottom bracket should I use on my Heckler?
It really depends a lot on the crank manufacturer. The Heckler (like 95% of the bikes out there) requires a 47.5-50mm chainline. That is a measurement from the center of the BB shell to the middle ring. All of the new external bearing cranksets should work- just follow the manufacturer instructions for set-up on a 68mm BB shell. Old XTR cranks (before the external bearings) should use a 116. Most ISIS cranks should use a 113. Older XT cranks (2002-2003) use a 113. LX cranks from'03- '04 use a 121mm. As always, call your crank manufacturer if you have doubts- just tell them you need a 50mm chainline. ALWAYS buy for a 68mm shell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.