Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Christmas, I am buying my father a Gary Fisher Cake with the new frame design (dropped top tube) and 4" of travel. The only problem is he is an in-betweener. :confused: I cant decide wether to get him a 19" or 21". He is 6'2" with a 34" inseem. any opinions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, he'll be doing mostly XC (michigan trail riding), but the effective top tube on these bikes are really long for their standover height.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Why not let him decide?

I would guess that the LBS would allow you to purchase a store credit for what the bike costs. If you want to suprise him it's easier that way , i.e. you could get a picture of the bike and put it in some random sized box and put it under the tree.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
KC.K. said:
For Christmas, I am buying my father a Gary Fisher Cake with the new frame design (dropped top tube) and 4" of travel. The only problem is he is an in-betweener. :confused: I cant decide wether to get him a 19" or 21". He is 6'2" with a 34" inseem. any opinions?
I am 6'2" with a 34.5" inseam. I rode the 05 Cake3 for 1 year. If he is doing ONLY XC then go with the XL. If he wants to experiment with some technical singletrack, get the L or a different bike.

I sold my Cake and got a Specialized Stumpy XL. The fork is better, the rear suspension and shock is better, and the level of components are better for only a few hundred more than what I paid for the Cake. The Stumpy is a superior bike in all aspects. Not only that the geometry is not as stretched so I have better control and a more comfortable riding position.

The only advantage the Cake had over the Stumpy is that it felt faster and racier (if that is a word).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts