Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Turner community. I wondered of you could help.

I am 6'1 and a bit (187 cm) and I ride a Large (20.5) Zaskar (re-issue, Sapa built) and a 58cm Colnago road bike.
I rode a size large Specialized Epic last night which was spot on in size (if nothing else) but I think the large Epic is right between a L and XL Flux
I ride enduros and set my bikes up with the saddle 9.5 cm setback and would ideally have a saddle to centre of bar of 600mm
I think I would find the wheelbase measurements useful, is there a reason this is not on the Turner site?
Test riding a Turner is not going to be easy as I am in the UK.
Buying one won't be easy as we are all broke.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I assume it's a DW-link?
In that case i'm 179 and I ride a large. The wheelbase (measured on the floor from mid to mid is 110 cm)

Rode a '06 Flux before in medium which felt too small, so I'm happy with my large which I think is a perfect fit with 100mm stem and a seat post with no setback.

I have, shortly, tried the epic. I think the medium felt too small and the large to big.

At 187cm I would go for the XL.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am 6' 2" with 34" inseam and long arms and ride a XL DW link Flux.I feel its spot on with a 100mm stem.As a comparison i also have a Horst link Spot and thats a large,just about fits,but the Flux i feel is a better fit.I would think a XL with a short stem would be ideal.I am also based in the UK and i think the Singletrack magazine does some kind of demo days or sponser something with Turner on the bill.Have you tried contacting Silverfish?
Thanx Max

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

Thanks everyone, this all sounds good. I am also sure that an XL with a 100mm stem and riser bars is the way to go.

Just to help me picture the set up, would anyone mind measuring the wheelbase (QR-QR of an XL flux (New model with 120 forks?)

It might be useful if manufacturers had a set up guide which advised on the kind of stem, bars etc that the bike was designed for?

I am on the South Coast in England. I will give Silverfish a call.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm your same height. Bought a XL DW Flux. Loved everything about it except 1 thing.....it has the wrong wheel size....especially for someone my (your) height. Sold the XL Flux. Bought the XL Sultan. Monumentally better, especially with technical riding.

You should too.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
bordercollie1 said:
Hi

Thanks everyone, this all sounds good. I am also sure that an XL with a 100mm stem and riser bars is the way to go.

Just to help me picture the set up, would anyone mind measuring the wheelbase (QR-QR of an XL flux (New model with 120 forks?)

It might be useful if manufacturers had a set up guide which advised on the kind of stem, bars etc that the bike was designed for?

I am on the South Coast in England. I will give Silverfish a call.
My XL with Float 120's comes in at 115 CM or a little over 45".

I'd go for the XL. It's not that big, really.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad I found this forum.
Possibly the only bike forum with helpful and informed opinion.
Thanks again for answering my questions

The General Lee looks super. I like the Eddy Merckx orange a lot.
Agree that 29ers are the way to go, but when you have wheels and tyres for one format it is quite tough to buy into a new one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've just bought a large - its not turned up yet.

I'm 6' 2" but very long legs and short torso. I found a large epic spot on. I will have lots of seat post on show eh. The top tube on the flux in large is actually ever so slightly longer than what my Yo eddys have and I'm well comfy on them.

I hope I got it right.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
What size flux?

I'm a little over 6'1' with a 33" inseam. I used to ride a large tracer with a 110mm stem. This set up was spot on for me. I'm looking to pull the trigger on a flux but not sure if a xl will have me a bit to stretched out? What do think flux owners...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm 6'2'' (188cm) so was pretty much in between the two sizes myself. I came off a large carbon Specialized Epic which I was happy with so I transfered the measurements across to the Flux frame and the large was the way to go. I do have a Thomson masterpiece post pretty much at its limit but the masterpiece post is only 350mm compared to the elite post which is 410mm.

I'm also using a 90mm stem as I prefer a slightly smaller bike than a larger one (also makes selling a bit easier) but I'd suggest seeing if you can somehow test ride both sizes and deside for youself which suits you best. Remember you always have a lot more adjustment with the seat post but you can't adjust the lenght of the top tube other than changing stem length which also changes the handling.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The top tube on the XL Flux is only 24.5", which is what the top tube length used to be on the size large TNT Flux models. If you like a longer cockpit, or the option of running a shorter stem or straight seatpost, I'd go with XL. If you have a shorter torso/arms or like a tight cockpit go L.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What make the Turner sizing difficult as I see it is that:

There is no size overlap on the Turner site, just a 6'1 cut off. Salsa and Yeti do size guidelines quite well on their sites
No guidence about how they are designed to be set up. Long / short stem etc
Size is harder to work out on a full sus bike because the top tube effectively lengthens when you sit on it

I know this seems a bit obsessive but I am a bit pedantic about bike set up (plumb line and tape measure...) and the Turner is my favourite design and brand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did a measurement on the effective top tubes on both my intense tracer and my now bent ibis soft tail both are coming in at 24 inches. I am leaning toward the large, but will take a few more measurements just to be sure. Demoing a flux in the nyc tri state area does not look likely. Thanks for all the input...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Phin
What happens to your effective TT / saddle position when you load the shock with 10% sag? The XL Flux has a TT of 622mm, which would be at the upper end of what I think would be comfortable, but if the rear sus adds 10mm to that then it is going to be too long... but the L would be about right...
I am sure it is a swear word on here but an Ellsworth Truth L appears to come up right between a L and XL Flux (615 TT) I like the sus design and 100mm fork geometry, not the build or the brand. Only mentioning it because the UK dealer is just down the road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well after my first ride I have to say that L is just right for me- 6' 2" with long legs and short torso. I have 100 mm/5 degree rise stem and no spacers- I would have added some spacers but the forks came of my girlfriends epic and were only just long enough in the steerer.
But it actually feels fine - if anything I could have maybe a 110 mm stem.

But big feet- size 12- clip the stays and my calf muscle knock the top link. I'll get used to it I think.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
this and that

bc1, I got excited about plagiarizing a better way to communicate size recommendations to riders, so I clicked the Spearfish and the ASR5, and was bummed there was nothing extraordinary on their size charts? Salsa is purposefully vague with overlapping and fading bars so that I really don't know what size I should be on and there is nothing I can see that would help me decide whether the small or the medium would be the right choice. The Yeti is the same as the Turner chart, 5.0-5.3, 5.3-7blah blah blah, again with no paragraph of philosophy to help with 'tweeners. Although I did note that a medium Yeti has the same TT length as a large Turner Bike and the ST is within 5mm of the same length, so sizing comparing is not apples to apples.

If anyone finds a better way to deal with size communication please let me know, you know my email address.

yoeddy, if you could have added a fork spacer (new fork), are heading for a longer stem and have 'long legs' ie tall seat height, you probably should have short stemmed an XL. The difference between TT is 15mm, divide by 2 and round off and you would have been sitting pretty with a 90-100 depending on seat post offset. Very normal stems by todays standards.

DT

·
Registered
25 Posts
size dillema

Well it looks like I'm the perfect definition of a tweener. I apperciate all the input, Still looking into the possibility of a demo, but I'm still leaning towards the large. yoeddy lets see some pics...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.