Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is mostly personal preference but I could use some feedback or advice before I buy this bike. I'm 5'10", +1 ape index, strong/athletic but newbie biker. Ripmo has 471mm reach and 1220mm wheelbase.

I've tested a medium and large Ripmo. I liked both but felt better with the large. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this bike at my height, or if I should look to a different bike where I'm not between sizes. Thank you!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Reach numbers on the new geo bikes like the Ripmo are not really comparable to older geo bikes. I am 6'0.5" and test rode a XL Ripmo and it did feel a tad too big. I would think 5'10" with a +1 ape factor would be ideal for a Large Ripmo.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
I am 5'7" with longer legs and just bought a medium ripmo. I am running a 185mm dropper because I need post extension, but large would have been too big for me. I would say you are perfect on a large however.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm 5'9 and bought the medium, I have a long torso and short arms/legs. 50mm stem. Seat dead center. Feels perfect. If I was doing shuttles on the norm id had bought a large. You have a tough decision, but if I were you Id be looking hard at the large.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Xlr8n

You’re right. It’s just that it was a short test ride, and I hear/read about people sizing down and that the modern bikes are getting too long. As a newer rider, I liked the length and stability of the bike, but I want to make sure I’m not limiting my abilities down the road to be able to handle/throw it around. I’m pretty sure I’ll be buying one this weekend.

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
I'm 5'9 1/2" and have been right in the middle of sizing for every Ibis I've owned and I've had larges and Mediums. I really wanted to stick with Ibis but didn't want to have to go up to a large again (due to wheelbase) so I went with a different option where a medium would work. Ok now I didn't have any saddle time but most said I needed a large except for Ibis themselves which said a medium would work. Heck even JKW said I should go large as he felt they ran small. I say if the large felt good go with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@bdundee

So did you get a Ripmo recently? Also, if you feel that you’re between sizes, why not look at other bikes? I think this last question is my main conundrum, although I’ve found that the Evil Offering and new Rip9 are the only other bikes I’ve seen that have geometry that would be between a medium and a large Ripmo.

·
Registered
506 Posts
5’10” here, not on a Ripmo but riding a bike with a 480mm reach and loving it. Honestly think you’re not between sizes at all and would be dialed on the large. You’ll also hopefully get the benefit of moving your seat more forward over the cranks for an improved climbing position compared to the medium.

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
@bdundee

So did you get a Ripmo recently? Also, if you feel that you're between sizes, why not look at other bikes? I think this last question is my main conundrum, although I've found that the Evil Offering and new Rip9 are the only other bikes I've seen that have geometry that would be between a medium and a large Ripmo.
Yeah because of sizing and not wanting the longer wheelbase of the large Ripmo I went with the Offering in size medium.

·
Registered
506 Posts
@Shredmonkey

Thanks for the response! What bike do you have?
Stumpjumper Evo S3, 40mm stem, seat slammed forward.
Wasn't %100 sure going this long at first. Was riding the smaller S2 for a bit, liked it but still felt like my center of gravity was too high when out of the saddle.
Minor downside is it's slightly harder to pop the front wheel up when not fully committed, but other than that all I can say is that at speed and in technical steep terrain the bike feels how I always imagined a mountain bike should feel for aggressive riding. Feels more like being "in" the bike and not on top of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
This is just regarding wheelbase length. I wouldn't necessarily base my decision on that measurement alone. Over the course of my last three bikes, they have each had a longer wheelbase than the one previous. In each case, due to other design characteristics such as STA, HTA, etc., I've found they have been more capable of making difficult, tight, climbing switchbacks. To me, that would be the only drawback to a longer wheelbase and it has not been my experience that the increase has been a problem. On the downhill sections, the longer wheelbase has been an advantage. I'd go with the large. My son, who is 6'2" tall, was on the cusp between the L and XL and went with the XL (as the sizing would suggest). He also was concerned with the wheelbase increase, but he's loving it. I rode with him yesterday and he was cleaning crazy tight climbing switchbacks with no problems.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.