Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Dang I have been hunting a size 4 frame, but I gotta get kids bikes rearranged first I'm on a size 3 right now and keep thinking about getting a 4. I'm 6'2" ......
My 14 year-old is 6'0" (same as me) and still growing. (5'10 to 6'0 in the last 8 months.) Expected to reach 6'2 - 6'4". His current bike is a SC Bronson V3 size large and it's rocking 30mm spacers under the stem and 30mm riser bars. He'll be ready for more reach next year, I'm certain, and the super-steep STA has him stacked very far forward when pedaling seated.

Anyway-
I am looking for his next bike and like the Shred Dogg for a lot of reasons but am not sure on the sizing. Could a 6'0" person ride a size 4 at all? Slammed stem and flat bars.

If not, in looking at the geo, the size 3 is definitely longer than his Bronson, and I have seen you and many others north of 6'0" riding size 3, so maybe it would be fine for him. If he ends up outgrowing it, I guess I'll ride it, and get a size 4 for him.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
My 14 year-old is 6'0" (same as me) and still growing. (5'10 to 6'0 in the last 8 months.) Expected to reach 6'2 - 6'4". His current bike is a SC Bronson V3 size large and it's rocking 30mm spacers under the stem and 30mm riser bars. He'll be ready for more reach next year, I'm certain, and the super-steep STA has him stacked very far forward when pedaling seated.

Anyway-
I am looking for his next bike and like the Shred Dogg for a lot of reasons but am not sure on the sizing. Could a 6'0" person ride a size 4 at all? Slammed stem and flat bars.

If not, in looking at the geo, the size 3 is definitely longer than his Bronson, and I have seen you and many others north of 6'0" riding size 3, so maybe it would be fine for him. If he ends up outgrowing it, I guess I'll ride it, and get a size 4 for him.
The seat tube on the shred dogg is really steep. He'd be fine on the size 4 despite the longer reach.

·
Registered
Mullet
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Anyway-

If he is at 6ft and only 14 he would definitely be able to grow into this bike and have fun with it. It would work for him now and through the rest of his growing days!

·
Registered
224 Posts

Anyway-

Im 5'11" on a Size 3 and if I was any taller I would want a Size 4. Run it in short and then in a year or two when he's 6'2" swap the headset around to long. The bike will grow with him!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.