Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the minimum seatpost insertion amount on a 16" Monkey.

As you know on a Monkey that size, the straight section of the seat tube is very short before reaching the curved section, so there is little distance room to lower the seat post.

I am thinking about hacksawing off my seatpost to provide the minimum amount that one needs to safely have inserted.

Anyone have any suggestion as to a good minimum amount.

For the record I weigh 130 pounds and ride with about 10" (255mm) of seatpost showing.

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Measure what you've got

The easiest way to do it would be to measure from the bottom of the post to the minimum insertion point, and keep that much in the frame after you cut. The length might be a little different from post to post. If the post is silver, maybe remark it with a sharpie or a piece of tape...

I believe that the min insert is to protect the frame as much as the post, as too much leverage with too little insertion can be tough on a seat-tube cluster. You'd probably end up with a bent post too...

Plum

·
Registered
689 Posts
frankenbike said:
Thanks for the tip Plum.

The min insertion marking on the seatpost is 3 inches.
Wow, 3" ain't much! It might not be a bad idea to add an extra inch or two. More insertion is better, and it will allow a little room to move the seat up later, for various reasons including different shoes, pedals, and seat. I have had to adjust seat heights for all those reasons.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought so aswell. 3" seemed too little, but that's what the post has marked on it.

I am just going to leave it as is for now and just ride it. If I find that I have a constant need for lowering, then I'll cut it.

One other thought, an expensive one albeit, is the Gravity Dropper or Descender seatposts. Those are the ones that drop 3" with the flick of lever or knob. This would solve the insertion problem altogether.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.