Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What better way to spend an Easter Sunday morning than shredding? tgiles and team pearson's racing were out pinning it as usual, and AZilla joined the ride last minute.

Thought we might get a little snow at the top of the Pinals, but didn't know what we were in for until we drove over the ridge to the north exposure up top. Around 10am we were making tracks in 4 inches of snow pulling into Ferndell. We soldiered on and got'er though. Decided not to pack down any tools due to the conditions. Top part was sketchy slippery, but sooo worth it for the goods.

Trail wasn't clear of snow until after the last climb, aside from one set of footprints. This video takes it from the end of the climb (~6800') down to just above the first creek crossing (~6000'). Forgot to clear my memory card after the last ride, so I only got a small amount of footage. The trail was just starting to get fast and super tacky, so shredable. With the fresh moisture below the snow line it was the best conditions I've ridden on this trail... the melache:thumbsup:

There were only a couple of big trees across the trail above the HAB from this last storm. They aren't in real fast downhill spots though. There a was a LOT of deadfall from the creek crossing down to the road. We moved what we could, but plenty of chainsaw work to be done to clear the trail.

Here's some video and pictures from the day.

Six Shooter Easter 09 from Evan on Vimeo.

Attachments

·
Downhill Messiah
493 Posts
Nice pice and video dude. Yeah, the snow certainly did suck, but as soon as we got out of it, the trail was primo. we need to make another trip up there soon.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Hey bro next time we go up I will let you know as we will be ripping a new trail thats not on any maps. This baby is all down with a minor up and oddly there isn't a single switch back .Think of 32nd street in terms of loose stuff and faster than any of the marked trails. In the 3 seasons of riding the pinals this trail is ready to go .

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Cool it will be in the next 2weeks. I need to get my turner all dialed back in as this really isn't a trail for the sxtrail . Lots of steep steep damn near 45 degree angle stuff and lots of panoramic views.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it was a lot of snow, but it seemed like most of it was fresh from the day and night before, and it was getting slushy already that morning. By the time we went back up a lot of it had melted off the road. The soils up there drain pretty well too.

Can't wait to get back up there again, maybe try to get a few shuttles in next time. That other trail sounds like fun. I want to check out Icehouse too, been hearing mixed reviews on it, but it looks like all downhill.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
flOw dOwn said:

Can't wait to get back up there again, maybe try to get a few shuttles in next time. That other trail sounds like fun. I want to check out Icehouse too, been hearing mixed reviews on it, but it looks like all downhill.
Icehouse is down but slower than sixer and tons of switchbacks

·
I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
874 Posts
hell yea. clock hit me up next time u go hopefully my shoulder will be better.

·
Dave
899 Posts
Would love to learn this area and now is the season right!!! Next time you guys head up please post. I'm a XC rider but want to play out there before it gets too hot. I can flow down the regular trails and not the super steep stuff. I can bring a couple of people to ride with me if you show us the way.

Did you guys shuttle up?
Dave

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Yes this is normally done via shuttle but the hardcore xc guys like to pedal up the road then ride down sixshooter.

·
Dave
899 Posts
clockwork said:
Yes this is normally done via shuttle but the hardcore xc guys like to pedal up the road then ride down sixshooter.
Thanks man. Evan you need to point your cam just a little higher. Great vid though. GoPro camera?
Any maps of sixshooter? U2metoo do you have a map of this area?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.