Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm curious how folks like their Six-Packs for harder core freeriding? The frame seems quite stout and capable of handling some real abuse.

Certainly "free-riding" means different things to different people, but it seems that most people now build up Packs as aggressive trail bikes. I rarely hear of Packs as dedicated FR bikes (at least not as much as the RFX predecessor, or similiarly designed bikes). I'm not sure if this speaks to the frame's niche, the current trend of "all-mountain" riding, marketing, the fact that Packs pedal so well, or more to the demographic owning $2000 bicycle frames?

Any insight into the Packs capabilities as hard core freerider (multiple shuttle runs, larger drops, inevitable crashes, etc.) would be much appreciated. How will this frame handle these conditions/abuse compared to "similiar" models (bullit, stinky, switch, supermoto, la bruja, etc.)?

Thank you

· Registered
9,478 Posts
I pretty much only use my '02 RFX for free-riding. Hardcore free-riding? Absolutely not- I don't do road gaps and I can't do manuals od 360 tailwhips, but I do enjoy learning new skills and pushing my meager skills. I have done quite a bit of whistler, both park and westside, lots of northshore (seymour and fromme), plus local stuff that I won't be posting about. The RFX has never held me back. Deadpossum, check out my vids (Galbraith and Whistler Bike park are the most huck filled) if you like.

I rode Mt.Fromme just last sunday on my RFX, set up in 5" mode with a 130mm Z1 in front. I had swapped the bike over to 5" recently for XC riding, and was sort of expecting to have to do some extra walking, but I was pleasantly surprised- I actually cleared a lot of stuff I hadn't before. You don't need a lot of travel imho- thick, heavy 2.5+ tires are way more important.

El chingon, your pics are great- but you are very lucky. I shot an hour of video at the shore, everybody took lots of pictures. They all look like we are night riding.

here's the best I have to offer, not very good imho.

deadpossum said:
Hello,

I'm curious how folks like their Six-Packs for harder core freeriding? The frame seems quite stout and capable of handling some real abuse.

Any insight into the Packs capabilities as hard core freerider (multiple shuttle runs, larger drops, inevitable crashes, etc.) would be much appreciated. How will this frame handle these conditions/abuse compared to "similiar" models (bullit, stinky, switch, supermoto, la bruja, etc.)?

Thank you

Attachments

· Now with flavor!!
5,611 Posts
FM: The real question is did you do the drop on clown shoes right after that picture was taken with your 5 incher?

· Registered
1,010 Posts
kidwoo said:
FM: The real question is did you do the drop on clown shoes right after that picture was taken with your 5 incher?
haha - I did it with mine in 6" mode - I'd drop it with 5 x 5 RFX though - smoooooth tranny....

· Registered
1,010 Posts
deadpossum said:
Hello,

Thank you
well, I certainly pushed my RFX to the freeride limits - and it did pretty darn well - Whistler, the Shore, the Rampage site - South Mountain (I finally killed it on the North Shore falling about 10' from a skinny....knocked me out and destroyed the rear triangle....)

but I began to feel limited by the bike honestly - I was doing a lot of what you are describing (although often pedaling up - not strictly shuttle-monkey or lift operated) - IMHO the RFX makes a great light freeride bike - but if you are going to go big - get a bigger bike - I've been on my VP Free for quite a while now and it's just better at freeriding than my RFX was - AND it pedals as well up as the RFX ever did - I enjoy trails more, drops - everything -if you want Turner, but plan on going big, dual-crown fork etc. -wait for the Highline - it will be the bike for you - OR if you don't want to wait, look at the VP Free, VPX, Knolly (beautiful bike - but BIG cash!), Foes Fly or Ironhorse 7 - any of these bikes will have bigger travel and handle serious freeride for ya....

my quiver now is: VP Free for freeride, 5 Spot for XC/all mountain/all day and Evil DOC for dirt jumping - I've still got the RFX (but stripped down to the frame) - I can't get rid of it because it's a classic, but I don't have a real use for it right now...

what is your other bike(s)? that could help the decision - if you have a good XC/all mountain bike (5 Spot, Blur, IH Mark III etc.) - one more inch of travel may not be worth $4,000 -and if you are really looking for a shuttle/lift freeride bike - go bigger, have more separation between bikes

· Registered
9,478 Posts
Hell no! it was set up as as 6" then, with a 170mm 66 up front. :) And, i took the right line to the smaller drop.Check out my whistler bike-park video to check it out... and bonus crash footage.

Like i said, meager skills. FR is all about learning and getting better imho. I do somewhat agree with macrider too, when I am ready to hit the air supply jumps, I will want a bigger bike. Until then, I am very happy with the RFX.

kidwoo said:

· Now with flavor!!
5,611 Posts
Acadian said:
smooth tranny? They must of did some maintenance on that landing since I was last there..
Naw, remember??? You've just got to basically be not moving at all when you come off of it.

The faster you go the harsher it is.

Remember that bear sitting right there watching us?

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Acadian said:
smooth tranny? They must of did some maintenance on that landing since I was last there..
2 summers ago - when I was up this year Clown Shoes was closed from all the rain - that might be why the tranny wasn't so smooth....

· Registered
8,289 Posts
deadpossum said:
Hello,

Certainly "free-riding" means different things to different people, but it seems that most people now build up Packs as aggressive trail bikes. I rarely hear of Packs as dedicated FR bikes (at least not as much as the RFX predecessor, or similiarly designed bikes). I'm not sure if this speaks to the frame's niche, the current trend of "all-mountain" riding, marketing, the fact that Packs pedal so well, or more to the demographic owning $2000 bicycle frames?

Thank you
I don't go big, but I know the local group here that does. Most of them seem to agree that 6 inches of rear travel isn't enough for real freeriding anymore.

Whether that is really true, I don't know. The two 6-Packs I know of personally are both built for HD trailriding/light freeriding.

For big freeriding, I'd be inclined to wait for the Highline. That said, I own a 5-Spot, and am just itching to build a 6-Pack. But it will be aimed at heavy trail use, with maybe a double-crown fork and super burly wheelset in the quiver for the occasional trip to Whistler!

Lastly, a question for the group: When DT sees those pix from El Chingon, do you thing he:

A. Grins maniacally.

B. Cries.

C. Alternates rapidly between the above choices?!? :D

· Registered
9,478 Posts
kosmo said:
Most of them seem to agree that 6 inches of rear travel isn't enough for real freeriding anymore.
Seems to be enough for Darren Berrecloth! (specialized SX trail)

Seriously, we've had a few different threads along this same line... there is an aspect that I think hasn't been really agreed upon.

Free-ride is obviously different things to different people, and the sport is evolving. At some point people to to acknowledge that the desire for more travel is simply to ease the learning curve, or make the steep technical trails easier. Of course there's nothing wrong with that! It does widen your margin for error. But to say you NEED the travel is just wrong.

Of course, if you are doing mostly DH & shuttling, there's not much reason to choose a 6-pack over a heavier bike with more travel. However the 'pack/RFX with the right parts can do it, and usually does a better job of doubling as a trail bike.

Just depends on the use and rider.....

· Registered
291 Posts
hehe

Once again this falls into the "what does FR mean to you" classification.

To a smooth landing the pack could probably go huge. To sketch landings then it might start to hurt. Then again, if you're FRing and not too concerned with sag, you could probably run a really stiff spring.

Personally I bottom out when riding DH, but not when FRing (by free riding I mean doing drops). I only drop to big trannies, so I rarely blow through the travel unless I'm doing something dumb.

When riding DH you want your bike to be very saggy and very plush. The suspension should only ramp up right at the bottom. If you are on a 6-inch travel bike and try and run 2 inches of sag then you will bottom the bike out a lot. Especially since it's probably not a very high rising rate linkage (though I could be wrong).

Anyway FM is right, man people go huge on hard trails. So skill really matters, yet I think putting a dual crown fork on a pack is probably a waste. If your riding is too much for a 66RC then the pack is probably really hurting. Also how long do you think Berrecloth will get out of that SX trail? The SX trail is a great bike, but it's probably not designed for that. He probably has it set up pretty firm in the back too.

One more thing you should probably think about is, are you DHing or FRing? There is a big difference in the style of bike used for either. I thought I would be FRing more than DHing when I bought my bike. That's why I always weigh in on these topics to try and get people to think about the type of riding they will be doing. I certainly wished I bought a full on DH bike instead of a hard-core free ride bike.

Are you sure you want to be "hard core free riding" without a through axel in the in the rear?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.