Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
yeppers. shes a 150mm but i understand i can swap out a c clip and a spacer and do 170 without extra bits but i doubt ill ever need to do that on this bike in iowa.

1st time as in one frame and 2 sets of travel mods? i cant be the 1st can i? another plateau achived!

14" b/bkt for the sixer, not sure about the 5er. if memory serves, and it often doesnt, its about 13". i checked it out but ive forgotten for sure.

wreck, we need indoor everything out here from nov to march. what sux is the local skiin is for crap. 5 hours plus and that gets ya a small hill with a few hundred feet at best. but the lift is cheap so i have that goin for me, which is nice.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Thats pretty low BB

14" b/bkt for the sixer, not sure about the 5er. if memory serves, and it often doesnt, its about 13". i checked it out but ive forgotten for sure.

Nice bike. I used to have a similar setup with the 5 and 6 inch rockers. Has to be one of the best bikes out there....still. I recently switched to the 6pack. Not too much different, just a couple tweaks.

My BB hights were always pretty high with those 6 inch plates....more towards 15" with a shorter fork. Are you measuring from the ground to the center of the BB. I had that same set up with 5" plates and 5" z1. I think my BB was about 13.25. That bike rails with that 5" setup.

Hope you enjoy it.
C-YA

·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
ya know g, its funny. when ya take a 38 lb bike with tires the size on rhode island OFF the carpet and roll it onto tile, you seen to gain 1/2" of b/bkt height. crazy but true. now this can be looked at from a few angles. either the plushness of the carpet makes a diff therefore raising the need to develop a tire with "instant on" carpeted tred for lessoned ground clearence when ya need it for cornering and climbing (a pop lock?), my bike is so cool that when i touch it it raises 1/2" from pure joy or im a moron who needs to learn to measure things from a flat, hard surface.

so dt, can ya talk to maxxis about that carpeted tire idea of mine? ill cut ya in for 10%! think of it.. the cactuscorn signature series of shag tires available in colors to match any decore! itll be huge!

·
1,316 Posts
Cactus, you are crazy!

And I mean that in the nicest way. :) Maybe your alias should be CrazyCorn, but than you already have too many knicknames on this board. I had a good laugh from your post on one of the other threads, when you lumped TV, knitting and Strip clubs together. Where did you come up with that combination???

Anyways, since I gave you some sh!t for the Smurfmobile I wanted to come back and say that now I see your SixPack in its true mode (true color, so to speak) I just wanted to say it looks damn sweet! Im really diggin it now. Now you just have to go get it dirty. Yes, I know you said the only way its gonna see that is getting dragged behind some truck down some road or whatever but lets see some action shots. No more color samples. ;)

Cheers
C-

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Shag tires!!! Holy crap, what's next, lava lamp damping systems??? Good for a morning laugh no doubt. No to go wipe the snot and Mountain Dew of the computer screen.

happy trails...

squish

·
~~~~~~~~
5,918 Posts
A bit over 14" BB with a 05 66 at 150 sounds right seeing as you got the new 6 pack back half.

I got some ideas for winter freeride entertainment. You could shape some snow piles into some sweet gap jumps, might have to spray some water on the jump to firm it up, but leave the landing pile nice and soft. Might be a good time to try some roof drops also since the landings will be softer assuming snow versus frozen ground. Build some indoor stunts, disguise them as furniture, or just use the furniture.

That's got to be torturous having all that nice new stuff to try, and it doesn't help that we are all wanting to know how it rides. Hope you can make it to the Turner desert gig, it would be great to here your commentary. All these new bikes to try and I'm sure you would only want to ride your own!

·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
wreck- im kinda pumped my b/b is lower than most rfx's of the past. one thing thats got me worried is the 140mm of stantion showing on the 66. gonna try removing a spring, adding air and remeasuring the whole set up for sag and length. hope to hell i dont have a problem here.

as much as i like yer ideas, i gotta remember im a beginning jumper so a ice jump might be bad for my old bones. i have been eyeballin the 4 foot decending drop to flat in the back yard for some time. with 2 " of powder under it, i might be tempted to give it a go.

my hub issue got worse today as the hope big un bits i ordered last monday are not commin now. no longer made is the story i got. woulda been pretty keen if id known that months ago when i first asked them. not my first issue with hope and fit/availability/communication issues. think ill move on and leave hope as a company behind me.

i parrused the books for a suitable 36h 20mm hub and decided to go a whole new direction. bontrager has the king earl wheel damn cheap, only a few bucks more than another quality hub. adjustable bearings, alloy/carbon hub, welded seam hoop, dt comps w/ brass nips all at 970g. im told there hasnt been a failure yet this year so im sure its safe under me. not bad dad. if i like it as much as i think i will ill get the matching rear in a month or so and semi-retire my old school 521's.

IF, if i can get out to the demo, ya know my SPaaNB will be there with me but count on some test feedback of the new stuff as well. itll be cool to get some real fresh impressions of them all as i doubt ill get any time on the new bike before then. another 6" fell today increasing that likelyhood. this is flat killin me! all i want is a rideable bike and a oppertunity to use it.

·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
CDtofer said:
I had a good laugh from your post on one of the other threads, when you lumped TV, knitting and Strip clubs together. Where did you come up with that combination???
maybe i better lay off those mushroom smoothies. i write all this crap to entertain myself and hope to gawd someone else thinks its funny. sometimes i fly solo, sometimes i can help someone like you laugh. glad ya dug the spoof and the bike. thanx for the words cd.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts