Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '05 Fisher Tass. 19". I've noticed on it that I sit way back on the saddle, like hanging off the back of the saddle for the most part. Right now it has a 110mm stem on it. I was wondering if lowering the stem on the steering tube (I have like 2.25" of spacers on the steering tube) would change my sitting position on the saddle?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nocturnus said:
I have a '05 Fisher Tass. 19". I've noticed on it that I sit way back on the saddle, like hanging off the back of the saddle for the most part. Right now it has a 110mm stem on it. I was wondering if lowering the stem on the steering tube (I have like 2.25" of spacers on the steering tube) would change my sitting position on the saddle?
... Sure it would. The sitting position is defined by the distance between the grips and the saddle. Taking the spacers out would increase the horizontal distance as well as the vertical distance. So you would sit in a more racing position (more flat) and slightly more forward.

But before you do that: Check your current position. You sit pretty much correct on the bike if, with pedals prallel to the ground, your knee cap is straight over the pedal axes. If that is the case I would not change the stem but take a closer look at saddle and seat post. You may want to as a friend to check this for you while you sit on the bike.

Any chance to push the saddle a bit back? Sorry if this is too basic. But it is a beginner's corner. So, did you try to open the screw under the saddle that clamps the saddle to the seat post? Open it and you can adjust the horzontal position of the saddle and the angle. Oh, some systems have two screws.

If the saddle is OK (knee caps over the pedal axes): Sit on the bike, lean against a wall and find your ideal position. May be ideal if a friend would hold the bike while you try for example what it would feel like if the bar would be higher by putting the fists on to the grips instead of holding them. You get the picture how to find the ideal position, right?

Once you think you got it you need to check what to change: stem, bar, spacers. You can play with it as you like. But make sure you either have a bike shop do the changes ot take a look at a repair book befor you start.

Cheers

Klaus

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the looks of things my knees are in the right position. Saddle is all the way back on the rails. I'm comfortable doing the work myself (built the bike up myself). I'm gonna mess around with lowering the stem on the steering tube.

Maybe this wasn't the best forum to post this question on.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Nocturnus said:
From the looks of things my knees are in the right position. Saddle is all the way back on the rails. I'm comfortable doing the work myself (built the bike up myself). I'm gonna mess around with lowering the stem on the steering tube.

Set the saddle on the post so that it is in the right place relative to your pedals. If you're hanging off the back all the time and the seat is all the way back on the post then the bike just isn't the right size for you or the post is wrong and nothing you do to the stem will fix that.

Then, once the saddle to pedal position is good adjust stem and bars to get you balanced on the bike properly.

Ron

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nocturnus said:

No, this was not the best forum to post the question. This is a beginner's forum. So we are all trying to keep things simple. Well, now as you identified yourself as an expert:

1) Have you condidered to turn the stem upside down? Most stems have an angle. So turning it decreases the bar very efficiently.

2) Is your seat post straight? If that is the case you may want to change it for one with an angle at the end.

Besides that: Happy messing with stem and spacers. I do this all the time, too.

Klaus

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.