Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting one of these two.I ride a zion 737 now and like the ride,but it's time for an upgrade.Is the weight between the two noticable?hows the ride feel on both?This is my first time posting so please help me out.Thanks,Corey

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Welcome to the forum..

I can only speak for the SIR 9.

For a non-custom made frame, it is very good indeed. The Reynolds tubing has a beautiful spring to it, but isn't noodly.

The AIR 9 is going to build up lighter, but like the One Niner [which I also have] the ride could be a little harsher because of the frame material. I tend to regard the alloy framed Niners as more suited to the weight conscious or racer types, and the steel SIR 9 as more of a cruiser...although both frames could easily serve either purpose.

Owners of the AIR 9 will no doubt chime in soon with their impressions and opinions.

I believe that Padre's wife rides an AIR 9 and also races on it.

HTH,

R.

·
Purveyor of Fine 29erness
626 Posts
Hi Corey.
Both frames have basically the same dimensions, but the ride quality is quite different.
The SIR is very compliant, without feeling mushy or dead.
The AIR is lightning quick and snappy, without being harsh.
The difference in frame weights between the two is about 2 lbs. I rode a large AIR for most of last summer, the frame was 3.4lbs, the SIR I'm riding now weights about 5.4lbs.
The EBB adds a little weight, but it gives you a lot of versatility. I'm riding my SIR rigid and singlespeed, and it is buttery, but if I ever wanted to put gears on it, it would be an easy change. I got rid of my AIR to ride the RIP.
If you knew you wanted a more comliant ride, but were not going to go singlespeed, you might think about the new MCR. Without the EBB, it will save you a bit of weight, and some $$.
Any way you slice it, the Niner guys make some seriously nice bikes.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Decide

I will let others chime in on the ride.

But just to let you know we have a new Reynolds 853 steel frame called the m.c.r. 9 which has a standard BB and weights a little less than the s.i.r. 9. If you are not planning on riding singlespeed this maybe another option.

Chris
Niner Bikes

·
2,822 Posts
I raced on an AIR9 last year and it is my only geared bike right now. Frame weight for a size large was 3.39 pounds which is very nice (builds up a 21 pound race bike with stout components)

I'm an old "steel is real" type of guy and rode Titan's, Ibis, Bontragers, FATs, IFs etc. back in the day and while the AIR rides a bit different, it is a light, snappy ride which is very comfortable on 3-4 hour rides still.

I don't think you can go wrong with either bike, but just remember the air9 will always be 2 pounds lighter if you ever plan on racing it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am also curious about both rides. I am going to put a thudbuster ( I know a fashion no-no) on either way i think and reba at 100mm so will the thud make up for one -9's stiffer ride and bring weight up to a mcr with a carbon or ti post. The trails are non stop rocks, small,med lg and I already have a fully. Just want a hardtail! Its been years since I rode aluminum and only steel lately is a cook bros with a landing gear fork,not good comparisons. I loved weight and ride of a few Willits I have ridden lately but the money just seems to keep going to car/house repairs. So I think I have narrowed it down to Niner mcr air one or salsa mamasita. As allways, your knowledge and input are greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
mtbr member
250 Posts
You can't go wrong either way

I'm lucky enough to own a Sir9 (singlespeed) and an Air9 (geared) and I love them both. I've got them both set up with Niner rigid forks so I can make a pretty decent comparison. To put it simply the Sir9 is smooth and the Air9 is fast. Really, really, really fast.

The Sir9 is the nicest steel bike I've ever thrown a leg over and reminds me every time I ride why I love the material so much, lively, resilient, compliant but not mushy.

The Air9 has completely changed the way I feel about alloy bikes. I'm sure the big wheels play a big part in it, but I don't find the Air9 at all harsh. Not quite the "magic carpet ride" of the Sir9 but still smooth, solid and incredibly efficient feeling. And did I mention fast...::thumbsup:

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
Not to highjack the thread but is a One9 basicly an Air9 without the useless bits? (shifters, gears & deraileurs)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry keeping the zion,Well I think that i've made up my mind,I'm going to have to take the WayDownSouth approach to the problem i have.My first purshase this winter will be a Air9 geared for racing,then followed by a rigid Sir9 single speed later in the year.thanks for all the help guys and gals.Corey

·
carpe diem
277 Posts
lambo said:
I am also curious about both rides. I am going to put a thudbuster ( I know a fashion no-no) on either way i think and reba at 100mm so will the thud make up for one -9's stiffer ride and bring weight up to a mcr with a carbon or ti post. The trails are non stop rocks, small,med lg and I already have a fully. Just want a hardtail! Its been years since I rode aluminum and only steel lately is a cook bros with a landing gear fork,not good comparisons. I loved weight and ride of a few Willits I have ridden lately but the money just seems to keep going to car/house repairs. So I think I have narrowed it down to Niner mcr air one or salsa mamasita. As allways, your knowledge and input are greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:
I have a SIR9 (never tried the other models) and must say that it is the nicest riding frame I have ever owned. A super compliant ride compared to my previous ti hardtail (not sure why the ti ht never felt as nice). I needed a suspension post on the ti ht and later switched to a Thudbuster when the sussy post died to make riding more pleasant. Shortly after, I decided to go with the SIR9 and gave it a go without the Thudbuster. I have never felt a need to put the Thudbuster on the SIR9 and I ride alot of rocky rooty areas. Needless to say, the Thudbuster is listed in the new classifieds if you are interested.

Like others have noted, if you are more into racing and speed, get the AIR9 or other model. If your out for all day riding fun, get the SIR9.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.