Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
i am using a e13 xcx bb (e-type style) mounted guide. i do not like the looks of bashrings since i ride xc.

works great. aim for a 50mm chainline. i run a 34t rotor ss ring and a e13 xc ss crankset.

i also found that keeping the shortest chain length possible did not work well, it seems to make the chain bind up a bit and fall into my frame. so, i added a full length and no problems since.

cheers!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have great luck with the Paul's chainguide mounted on the seat tube. The Paul's has got to be the most user friendly one to set up. The ethirteen guide looks much sexier if you use the seat tube mounted model, IMHO. Salsa rings are nice and cheap, but the new raceface ss rings and the ethirteen rings are sweet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looking to avoid a bash guard and have a 34t salsa non-ramped chain ring.
So I guess it comes down to which guide works best for my endurance racing intended use:
MRP 1 x
e-13 XCX
Paul's

?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think those three options are as good as they'll get without using a bashguard...which i didn't want on my bike either.

i have been using the Paul Chain Keeper and though i did spend a good 30 min or so setting it up just right, it's been working great for the last few rides.

·
Not smart enough to shift
454 Posts
I run a true chainguide on my bike. I use the E.13 LG1+ with a bb mounting plate. It is fantastic and has never dropped a chain. Another option if you don't need the taco is the Lopes guide from MRP.

I have a modified Rohloff guide on my wife's 1x9. She has dropped the chain a few times on really rough trails.

Cheers,
Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.