Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always ran 32:18 on my SIR9 but i always need a half link to get the tension, does anyone run 34:19? if so do you use a half link? where usually is the tension point with a new chain? 6pm, 3pm etc on the EBB.
thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
With the EBB, there shouldn't be any need for a half link. You adjust your chain tension with the EBB.

Unless you are trying to have the bb in a specific location skip the half link and adjust with the EBB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? is that on a medium? i've tried without, either can't join the chain up as its too tight, or i cant get tension, the ebb rotates fully never getting tight

·
Registered
52 Posts
I too am wondering if a half link might be my answer as well. So, for you more knowledgable folks, Size L SIR9 running 32-19 and I'm maxed out on the EBB, ie 3 o'clock position with 95 links (sram 870) and sagging . How many links are most folks running and what cog options does your chain length offer? Is it possible a new chain ring might solve the problem? The current one is a recycle off a 3x from an old ride, but is in great shape...

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I too am wondering if a half link might be my answer as well. So, for you more knowledgable folks, Size L SIR9 running 32-19 and I'm maxed out on the EBB, ie 3 o'clock position with 95 links (sram 870) and sagging . How many links are most folks running and what cog options does your chain length offer? Is it possible a new chain ring might solve the problem? The current one is a recycle off a 3x from an old ride, but is in great shape...
Firstly, a couple notes: One chain link usually refers to a pair of inner and outer half links. Your number of chain half links has to be even unless you're already running a special half link that functions as both an inner and outer link, the kind we usually mean when we say "half link".

A chain should fit that chainring exactly as it would on an SS chainring, assuming that it (and the chain) aren't worn out.

Try throwing some measurements and calculations at the problem. This gear calculator says that 32x19 with a 48 link chain (96 half links) theoretically has a chainstay length of 17.6" when tightened. What is the distance measured directly between your rear axle and the furthest point away in the EBB's range of adjustment? (which is somewhere a bit below 3 o' clock because you have to follow the line extended along the chainstays). The next shortest setup for 32x19 without a half link is a theoretical chainstay length of 17.094 with a 47 link chain, which you could measure to check if rearward EBB positions can match too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.