Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I pulled the trigger finally and got a rigid SS 29er to complement my beloved Blur Classic! Not in my hands yet (working on shipping details), but I got a deal on a used medium Sir9 that I just couldn't pass up. I'm very excited to get it!

Here's my question, and although I've found bits and pieces of answers spread around the MTBR forums, I thought I'd ask it specifically here in the Niner room...

I'm 5'9" with averge sized (I guess?) torso, ~30" inseam, so the medium should be a reasonable fit. The Sir9 I bought comes with a Jones H-bar and a 120mm Thomson 5 deg rise stem (and a Pace RC29 if anyone thinks that may be a possible factor)...

My question is: I'm guessing that stem is going to be too long for me, am I right? Having no prior experience with an H-bar, I don't know how that guy will affect overall "reach".

I know there are Sir9 riders who are about my size out there with H-bars... What do you guys find to be a comfortable stem length?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheer, Chris

EDIT: Heck, while I have the floor here... I'm all ears for good ideas on how to secure the cable housing with that Pace fork... Any creative & clean looking solutions for managing the front brake cable on a Pace? Pics would be much appreciated, if you have 'em handy!

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I ride a medium SIR 9 with JJ H-bars. I use a zero degrees rise 50mm Thomson stem. However, i'm vertically challenged @ 5-4", so you may need a slightly longer one. I also run H-bars on my small One Niner and use a 90 mm five degree rise stem on that.

R.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Rainman -

I should have mentioned in my OP that your info on the above was the one complete answer I'd actually found in previous posts, but it's good to know that your still on those set-up (i.e. no long-term second thoughts).

I do appreciate you taking the time to answer though; that info is helpful... I'm thinking there's gotta be some other med Niner riders out there with JJ H-bars too :thumbsup:

IIRC, you have used a Pace fork also, did you just zip-tie the FB cable to the crown?

Thanks for your help; happy to (soon) finally be 29 and single!

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm not sure if there's an equation that exists to make this answer easier, but our experience is that because of the position that the Jones Bar is designed to be put in, it generally requires a 10-20mm LONGER stem with more RISE than the stem that you would use with a flat bar.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Niner Bikes

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Steve,

I will, of course, check the fit out when I get the bike itself. I'm just trying to get some ideas ahead of time in case it doesn't feel right and I have to scramble to get a stem in my eagerness to go out and ride. Figured some "been there, done that" knowledge is good to have ahead of time. Thanks for the help!

Happy to be on the Niner squad soon... :thumbsup:

Cheers, Chris

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Chris130 said:
Thx Rainman -

I should have mentioned in my OP that your info on the above was the one complete answer I'd actually found in previous posts, but it's good to know that your still on those set-up (i.e. no long-term second thoughts).

I do appreciate you taking the time to answer though; that info is helpful... I'm thinking there's gotta be some other med Niner riders out there with JJ H-bars too :thumbsup:

IIRC, you have used a Pace fork also, did you just zip-tie the FB cable to the crown?

Thanks for your help; happy to (soon) finally be 29 and single!

Cheers, Chris
Zip tied the cable ... yes I do. I tape the crown with some black electricians tape ... a few turns around it ... then attach the cable firmly with the black zip tie.

R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.