Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a Sir Nine and run it singlespeed.
Right now I have a large Salsa Juan SOLO.
I am 6' maybe 6'1.(have a few compressed discs that shrunk me a tad)

In trying to compare the size of my salsa, I was mainly looking at Top Tube length. (that may be the wrong approach that's why I am asking).

The Salsa's TT is 23.2 and the Niner's Medium TT is 23.75 and the Large is 24.5.
I run a 120mm stem on my salsa right now and it stretches me out to far, I was planning on getting a shorter stem but figure I will wait till I get a niner.
I am not worried about stand over height as much as I am interested a comfortable cockpit. Niners height recommendation puts me in the medium or the large.
I have always had Large 26" bikes but this is a new ball game and I need some advice.

thanks in advance.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
I think you are a L on the Niner.

I am 5'10 and a bit and on a M I run the 300mm seatpost at its maximum allowable extension. It's a good fit but I've got nothing to spare on the post.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
More information?

scanjok said:
I am looking to get a Sir Nine and run it singlespeed.
Right now I have a large Salsa Juan SOLO.
I am 6' maybe 6'1.(have a few compressed discs that shrunk me a tad)

In trying to compare the size of my salsa, I was mainly looking at Top Tube length. (that may be the wrong approach that's why I am asking).

The Salsa's TT is 23.2 and the Niner's Medium TT is 23.75 and the Large is 24.5.
I run a 120mm stem on my salsa right now and it stretches me out to far, I was planning on getting a shorter stem but figure I will wait till I get a niner.
I am not worried about stand over height as much as I am interested a comfortable cockpit. Niners height recommendation puts me in the medium or the large.
I have always had Large 26" bikes but this is a new ball game and I need some advice.

thanks in advance.
You say you're not concerned about stand over height, but you feel too stretched out with a 23.2 TT & a 120 mm stem. The Medium Niner with a 100mm stem might be a better fit, keep in mind that your running an EBB which will also contribute to your saddle placement changing your sadle to bar length. Try giving a call to Chris or Steve they're great guys and based on your inseam, arm, torso measuremeants they maybe able to get you close to dialed in over the phone. If you have a good shop in town have them fit you, they can help eliminate the guesswork out of the fit process and should have multiple stems & saddles with long/short rails to really dial you in.

Good luck. The SIR9 is a nice ride, I think you'll dig it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm 5'10" and I ride a L SIR with a 100mm stem. It's probably on the big side for me, but I can't picture someone 6'0" or over riding a medium. The cockpit of the SIR is pretty high when you run the rigid Niner fork. In my opinion this negates some of the ETT length. I friend of mine rides a large Salsa El Mariachi. I don't know how this compares in sizing to a Juan Solo, but his El feels much bigger than my SIR

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm on a M Niner w/ a 100mm stem and I'm 5'11". Next time you're in T-town take Dejays or my bike out for a spin. At 6' you could go either way, but in general you should go by TT length more than frame(seat tube length) size. Or you could give Dejay a call, he's the resident Niner guy around here. You coming out for SSAZ '07?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skidmark said:
I'm on a M Niner w/ a 100mm stem and I'm 5'11". Next time you're in T-town take Dejays or my bike out for a spin. At 6' you could go either way, but in general you should go by TT length more than frame(seat tube length) size. Or you could give Dejay a call, he's the resident Niner guy around here. You coming out for SSAZ '07?
I am trying to get it off for ssaz. Actually, I am seeing Dejay this weekend when he comes to Cali. So, I will give his medium a spin.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
I am 5' 11.5" and run a large SIR9. The Niner guys, who are absolutely fantastic at customer service, put me on a medium. I struggled with this for a full week. I even rode my pal's medium SIR9. In the end, I chose the large for a few reasons. One, I am an in-betweener between M and L, but for the last 5 years have always gone large over medium and have been very happy. Two, I was absolutely maxed out on seatpost on the medium with a 400 mm seat post. Three, I like a more upright riding position, with an emphasis on stability on technical and very rocky downhills. I think the large was better suited for these needs because, among other reasons, the steering is a bit slower than the medium. My seat height is about equal to my bar height. Finally, although the large's top tube is the longest I have ever had, I like shortish stems and never use one longer than 90mm. I have a 70 mm no rise stem on my SIR9. Ever since changing the Reba to 100 mm from 80mm, I have been as happy as possible with the Niner.

It seems most mtbr people at my height are on mediums and are very happy. But, I think if you are pushing 6'1", the large would be better.

Standover height has never been a big issue for me, and the large SIR9 is no exception.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.