Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
innate behaviour
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Converted my SIR to single just to get back on the trail while my JET waits in limbo...

Anyways, I have never had this issue before on either my BOSS from the or my last singlespeed...Ventana El Toro.

Yesterday on my first ride, I noticed a bit of chain slap. The chain is hitting underneath the chain stay on bigger bumps. I tightened the EBB on the ride and adjusted it a few times and still no luck.

I am running a 30 X 16 if that helps...??

Anyone have this issue too??

·
Jacob 34:19
516 Posts
Never had chain slap on my SIR9. I generally run my chain fairly taught. Maybe 1/2" play up or down. Sounds like you need to adjust your EBB. If it's all the way forward, take a link out and start over.

·
Registered
208 Posts
jet9n8 said:
Converted my SIR to single just to get back on the trail while my JET waits in limbo...

Anyways, I have never had this issue before on either my BOSS from the or my last singlespeed...Ventana El Toro.

Yesterday on my first ride, I noticed a bit of chain slap. The chain is hitting underneath the chain stay on bigger bumps. I tightened the EBB on the ride and adjusted it a few times and still no luck.

I am running a 30 X 16 if that helps...??

Anyone have this issue too??
NEVER on any SS-- maybe you have loose "cheeks"

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Nope...never had any chain slap on any SS ...ever.

If you are getting CS, then something is very wrong, imo.

1/2" max up and down play in chain in loosest position? That's what you need to see...:thumbsup:

Apart from this...if you are a 300lb Olympic athlete with calves like Christmas hams and flex the frame enough to loosen the chain on every pedal stroke, then it has to be a loose chain setup.

R.

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Yeah, me too

I had the same issue on my SIR, the 30x16 gear was/is the culprit. The 16t just leaves the chain a little close to the chainstay, hence the chain slap on the slack side (under side) of the chain. Under load, any slack in the chain ends up on the bottom, since the top is under tension.

I ran other gears for racing, still had a little slap due to the 16t rear cog. This is with a ring as big as a 36t.

Plum

·
innate behaviour
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rainman said:
Nope...never had any chain slap on any SS ...ever.

If you are getting CS, then something is very wrong, imo.

1/2" max up and down play in chain in loosest position? That's what you need to see...:thumbsup:

Apart from this...if you are a 300lb Olympic athlete with calves like Christmas hams and flex the frame enough to loosen the chain on every pedal stroke, then it has to be a loose chain setup.

R.
Nope....only 295lb....and an O lineman for the Chargers....haha. Thanks for all the help...sounds like the rear 16 is the prob. Dammit!! I like the ratio too.

1. What would feel the same as 30 X 16 in a larger ring combo?? I am guessing 18 X 32??

2. Why would C. King make a 16 if it causes this prob??

·
innate behaviour
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shishku said:
Actually, the niner guy is right. If you have a 30/16, both gears are small enough so the chain is just too close to the stays.
Yeh...I happened to have a cool 30T Middleburn chainring sitting around, so I went with the 16 in the rear.......argh!! More money....does it ever stop?:p

·
innate behaviour
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Manicmtbr said:
Go up two in the front and one in the rear for very similiar ratios - - 30/16, 32/17, 34/18 etc
Sounds like I should run a 34 X 18 to get the same-ish ratio as my current 30 X 16??

30/16 = 1.875

34/18 = 1.889

These numbers are pretty close, so I am assuming they they will feel the same??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.