Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a novice bike mechanic, I'm struggling to identify the right solution.

I recently purchased a Sinister Simon Bar bike. I absolutely love it. The previous owner mentioned that I might have an issue with chain drop using the new front sprocket.

You might want to fine tune the chain line by removing one of the spacers between the frame and the bottom bracket. That will help if you experience chain drop. Just something I didn't get a chance to dive into once I putt he new front sprocket on.
Well I went about doing that and upon closer inspection, it seems like there isn't enough clearance between the sprocket and the frame. In fact, it looks the chain has eaten away at the frame a little!

Pic:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

What to do? The chain will drop on average once or twice a ride. I'm guessing I want to switch out for a smaller front sprocket.

My drivetrain is
1x10 speed Shimano XT clutch (cassette)
race Blackspire 36t (front sprocket)
175 mm Shimano Deore cranks.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,608 Posts
It's simple.....with the ring on the outside of a 3x crankset....the chain line is horrible for a 10 spd drivetrain.

You cannot put the 36t ring on the inside because, as you see, it exceeds the frames capacity for the "middle chainring location".

Options:

1. Drop to a smaller ring. 32 will fit no problem on the middle location.
2. Buy 1x specific crankset

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks for the reply. What would the benefit of buying a 1x specific crankset? It seems like swapping out for a smaller ring is the obvious path to take.

Any recommendations for a new ring?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

·
SS Pusher Man
7,608 Posts
1x Cranksets move the chainline inward.

Plus many of them have direct mount rings with an offset.

But bottom line is that your frame cannot accept a 36t ring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts