Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sin·is·ter /sin'istər/ adjective;

1. Giving the impression that something harmful or evil is happening or will happen; "there was something sinister about that murmuring voice."

synonyms: menacing, threatening, ominous, forbidding, baleful, frightening, alarming, disturbing, disquieting, dark, black;
antonyms: innocent

2. Heraldry-archaic: of, on, or toward the left-hand side (in a coat of arms, from the bearer's point of view, i.e., the right as it is depicted).

3. Badass fork.

synonyms: strut, carbon sex magic, is-that-a-lefty, if-you-ride-one-you-get-it, isn't-your-steering-all-stupid, did-that-tattoo-hurt, if-your-mother-saw-you-on-that-I'd-spank-her.

I finally am getting around to switching out my fork for a Lefty (I've missed mine since selling the Prophet). I have a tapered headtube on my current frame...anyone running a Lefty on a tapered headtube (the Prophet had a headtube made specifically for the Lefty)? I have a couple questions. What is your headtube setup (Cane Creek? Chris King? FSA? Cannondale? Huffy? Duct tape and zip ties?), are you pleased with it and why, what are some quirks about your setup that in hindsight you think you could have avoided?

Now as some of you prepare inflammatory responses to consult the google my damn self, I'll be consulting the google my damn self. :thumbsup: But I also want some feedback from humans I actually know and ride with, and are familiar with such sinister setups. Smartass responses and all. ;)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I unfortunately don't have any advice, but I'm curious what bike are you putting the lefty on? My friend from home used to have a lefty on his Independant Fabrications hard tail, but I cannot for the life of me remember the exact setup. I know it was a king headset, and he had 2 billet pieces made for him to make it fit. He was happy with it. He built it as a 69er too, for a conversation starter. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
213 Posts
PROJECT 321 | Products: Tapered Fixed Crown Lefty Adapter

That is what you need.

I believe with that you can run your standard tapered headset that is in your frame.

I too, miss my lefty. When I went up in travel on my last build I got a silly deal on a fox fit.

It is a finicky, high maintenance little ***** in comparison to my lefty. More stiction and much more flex.

I finally learned how to get the most out of it, but it still underwhelms me.

The new Lefty supermax is the ****, but damn is it expensive. I will probably try the RS Pike next.

Good luck on your conversion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Latin sinistr- means on the left, or left hand side. Originally left handed people were considered to be touched by the devil, which is where we get the current meaning of sinister. This is opposed by the root dexter, which means on the right, or fortunate/favorable.

If you wear glasses/contacts and have wondered what OD/OS and OU mean, OS is ocularis sinister (Left eye), OD is ocularis dexter (right eye) and OU is ocularis uterque (both eyes). This is also where we get the concept of an "evil eye", or looking at someone out of the left eye in a squint.

John

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
SuctionGoat, Project 321 seems to have what I'm looking for, thanks! I was looking at different hub alternatives. I love my American Classic wheels and hubs, I think I'll stick with American Classic for the hub unless there is a better alternative that you have experience with.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I unfortunately don't have any advice, but I'm curious what bike are you putting the lefty on? My friend from home used to have a lefty on his Independant Fabrications hard tail, but I cannot for the life of me remember the exact setup. I know it was a king headset, and he had 2 billet pieces made for him to make it fit. He was happy with it. He built it as a 69er too, for a conversation starter. Pretty cool.
KHS Prescott.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Latin sinistr- means on the left, or left hand side. Originally left handed people were considered to be touched by the devil, which is where we get the current meaning of sinister. This is opposed by the root dexter, which means on the right, or fortunate/favorable.

If you wear glasses/contacts and have wondered what OD/OS and OU mean, OS is ocularis sinister (Left eye), OD is ocularis dexter (right eye) and OU is ocularis uterque (both eyes). This is also where we get the concept of an "evil eye", or looking at someone out of the left eye in a squint.

John
Always a wealth of info, John. When are we riding together? I owe you a shot at least for all I've learned from you recently.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.