Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pictures below show the bike, and some of the unique features.

My bike is a test mule for the production bikes. My medium frame right now weighs in at 3.2 pounds. Changes to the semi yoke, seatube and dropouts will have the mediums sub-3 by Production. This bike rules!

My complete bike as it stands right now weighs 22.5 pounds
Spec list
'01 Sid Race
DT xr4.1d wheelset, tubeless with Stans (thes rims are garbage, replacing with olympics, and eventually Industry 9 w/Olympic rims)
Thompson stem and post
King HS
SLR saddle
RF next lp with ti taperlock BB
Eggbeater SL (need to get short ti spindles)
Salsa QR collar ( I give lots of test rides, so I need the QR)
x9 med cage derialeur (I have an '07 shortcage in the mail somewhere)
IRD compact road deraileur
x7 8 speed shifters (lighter than X9 and the superiority of 8 speed)
Blue groove ft, Small Block rear tires

Heavy stuff-
Easton ea70 low rise DH bar ( I race DH so I like the leverage)
Hayes El Crapino brakes

I could go considerably lighter in some areas of the bike, but I am really happy with how all the componets currently on there are holding up. Better/lighter disc brakes and nicer wheels are certainly on the horizon though!

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Nice. Tube set? Scandium? What's the story on the asymetrical CS bridge? Where do they torch those up? Price?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tubeset is straight gauge 6061 aluminum. There are scallop gussetts on the top tube and under the downtube to compensate. Straight gauge 6061 is infintely more durable and considerably cheaper than the scandium tubesets, and the smaller diameters and thicker walls we are using give it a buttery smooth ride.
The semi-yoke is for better chainring clearance and resitance to chainsuck, while preserving the lighter weight and superior ride of tubular stays. The dropouts (the ones you see are pre-pro and unecessairly beefy) are modular, and can be replaced with a set of Single-Speed dropouts that pivot in an Arc around the top bolt
Sinister bikes www.sinisterbikes.com is owned and operated by Frank Wadelton, AKA Frank The Welder or FTW. The bikes are built by hand in Walpole, NH USA
Retail will be about $700 and Availability will likely be this fall.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Sweet. Keep us posted on the final version and final weight.;) If you can keep it down to 2.8lbs or so I'm sure people will take a serious look at it. Make sure it has V-brake bosses! Better yet, do away with disc tabs altogether! I'm always happy to see another offering from the states. Too bad I had to buy a frame quick or I might have considered this for a winter build project. The Voodoo Sobo Sc frame that I just picked up is in the same price/weight range at $717.00 and 2.9lbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.