Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
If it is already a company why do kickstarter? do they not sell enough bikes to be viable?
Jumping off topic...

Talk to someone who owns a small company about growth (so they can correct me since I don't own a company). In this case, its introducing a new bike. Cash flow can be incredibly tight even for companies with revenue in the millions. If you're not doing social media and fending off $billion offers you probably have to produce something. Usually you place the production order a few months in advance, pay a large portion up front and don't get that money back until its sold to a retail consumer (possibly weeks or months after you take delivery). If you want to add a new product to your line up you can save your pennies over time which might allow someone to jump in the market first. Or VC's will give you some cash...in return for your company. From what I hear, banks only loan money to people who already have a lot of it.

Kickstarter is perfect for the niche bike market, where margins and consumer base is very small. Add in most of these "companies" are just some guy (or two) who just likes making bikes. If you can find a few people that don't mind paying up front and waiting a few months, you can cut out the middle man and keep your soul. Another kickstarter thread went off the rails but fortunately it seems like the guy made his goal. Hopefully this one does too because we desperately need more bikes to compare and debate on the forums...oh and someone might have fun riding it.

Back on topic...

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
If it is already a company why do kickstarter? do they not sell enough bikes to be viable?
You don't have to convince a bank manager to lend you money to speculate on the model.

Instead you go to your customer base. If they like it, you get funded by people putting their money where their mouth is. If they don't like it, they don't support it.

So there's your in-depth market research and financing solved in one hit.

Singular is a very small business making really nice handling bikes, so it's good to see this working for them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
There is now Bob! Though if you are in the US you will need to go through Colorado Specialty Velo my new US dealer, drop Jon a line if you are interested.

As for why use a Kickstarter - Velobike has it right on. It's a way to both raise funds and prove the viability of a product. I am not some massive global bike business with deep pockets, I am one guy who most months is trying to balance buying more frames with paying the rent. Developing new models is never a cheap or simple process, and I've learnt the hard way that it's easy to get burnt pursuing something on a whim. This allows me to mitigate some risk and get people nice frames for a reasonable price.

Thanks for your support and sorry to be late coming to this thread. If there are any more questions please post em up and I will try to check back in.

Sam

P.S. The Puffins are on their way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.