Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down Mt. Diablo today, 98% of my ride was on fire roads. I was wondering where some single track in the area is? Walnut Creek/Alamo would be the starting point.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It's there, but it's all illegal.

Just depends how you feel about poaching. Mt. Diablo has singletrack.

North Peak trail is actually legal and pretty damn fun.

·
Registered
222 Posts
When I moved to Livermore I was amazed to find that Del Valle actually has legal singletrack (yes, check the map! I could not believe it; some singletrack even has multi-use signage). My guess is this used to be doubletrack but has become singletrack over time. Not sure if it is worth the drive for you, but at least it's something.

Crockett Hills also has legal singletrack that was built in conjunction with BTCEB around 5 years ago.

But certainly the legal options are few and far between in relation to the number of parks and amount of land.

Photos of legal singletrack:

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Crockett hills is the only singletrack in the east bay that I personally know of that is legal and worthy of commuting to and I haven't been there for a long time to check it out again, cows were always everywhere on the trails after it open and it deteriorated pretty quickly, but it sounds like its been maintained more recently. Pleasanton Ridge has a lot of singletrack but its all illegal except for like 1 backwoods section that is just a connector trail, nothing exciting.

There's a few miles of singletrack above lake chabot that's legal but its pretty boring, if you like scenic fast XC rides then you can ride that and all the fireroads on the loop.

You gotta travel for the good stuff, unfortunately. Camp Tamarancho in Fairfax or Soquel Demonstration State Forest in Los Gatos are some of the best trails that are worth driving to.

As for the trails listed in the above posts, I'll look into them as I didn't know they existed before! But I am guessing they are still more flowy XC type stuff.

·
Ride, Race, Live
292 Posts
Yeah eastbay is a bit of a desert. Juaqin Miller has a good amount of legal single track with 3 good decents, but it's a small park and you're doing laps on the same climbing trails to get to them. Start at Dimond recreation center and climb through Sasual creek and you can make a decent ride of it

Here's a link to one of my rides with the above suggestions

Ridelog from May 22, 2019https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/6311520/

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
beyond above---
Rockville Hills in Fairfield has a good variety of trails---some very technical--not really east bay but not far.

Fernandez ranch has 3 nice single track loops----intermediate and fairly short but nice and in the trees-------near crockett hills

I second crockett hills-----lots of good single track-----do not miss tree frog trail---good bit of climbing---

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you feel like driving a little farther east than the East Bay, make a trip to Exchequer mtb park at Lake McClure. It's legit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Interested in this as well, living in San Ramon. I haven't ridden my mtn-bike in a cpl years at least, but really getting the itch to ride it lately. Been all cross bike w/ slicks for me for a long time. Some nice road riding around here, but I get the feeling decent mtnbiking (i.e. legal singletrack) is hard to come by without a significant drive first

·
Registered
382 Posts
For the most part all the best singletrack is illegal in the East Bay and you need to do some exploring to find it. JMP has 3 legit trails, Crockett is ok, and Rockville is awesome. Skyline Wilderness and Skeggs are both a bit farther but definitely worth the drive. Oh yeah, check out Lime Ridge too, couple fun trails out there.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Surprised no one said China Camp ,closer than Tamarancho ,not the east bay but a nice 9 or 10 mile loop. If you know where to look ,you can double or triple that. Also there are three short legal single tracks in Briones.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Living in San Ramon and started riding the area the past year or so. Best trails I found with the fastest driving time have been Lime Ridge (was just there this morning actually) and then Joaquin Miller.

I want to join the Dublin Cyclery crew when they do their shop rides at Pleasanton Ridge but I haven’t made it out that way yet.

Would love to meet up with some more San Ramon/ Danville riders though and make some regular rides happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ride, Race, Live
292 Posts
Yeah eastbay is a bit of a desert. Juaqin Miller has a good amount of legal single track with 3 good decents, but it's a small park and you're doing laps on the same climbing trails to get to them. Start at Dimond recreation center and climb through Sasual creek and you can make a decent ride of it

Here's a link to one of my rides with the above suggestions

Ridelog from May 22, 2019https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/6311520/
I did this short ride this morning. It hits all three good descents, and gives you some solid climbing practice.
There's lots of options to extend a ride out JMP through some of the ridge trails, but they are fire roads. Good for mileage, or XC training, but otherwise a total snooze.

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/6618011/

·
Registered
350 Posts
Juaqin Miller has a good amount of legal single track with 3 good decents, but it's a small park and you're doing laps on the same climbing trails to get to them.
Can't believe I forgot to mention Joaquin Miller park in my post, I think Chaparral Trail there has to be the best legal singletrack* in the entire east bay. Still, I find I can blow downhill really quickly at Joaquin Miller but it takes forever to climb back to the top so its not worth it to me unless you love insane DH.

Also, the trails there are the only ones I've ridden that have been beyond my skill level on my current XC-Trail bike, a good trail, enduro, or DH bike is preferred to ride there I think.

*Asterisk because I've only ever ridden legal trails and can't tell say if there may be more awesome, but illegal, trails out there.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Other than what has been mentioned, Oyster Point Trail. Accessible from Old Finley Road, past Blackhawk and going into the Tassajara Valley. Be prepared for poison oak though.

It's loopable (up Hicks Road aka The Wall), but you have to hop a fence onto SMD land to do it. YMMV.

Trail itself is decent, but for the PO (last I did it, at least). It was the "longest legal singletrack in the EB" until Crockett Hills opened. May still be, for all I know.

My dirt riding time has gone way up since moving back to Placer County from San Ramon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.