Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am an avid trail rider, and am becoming more and more of a bikepacker. I much prefer riding remote singletrack, especially technical routes. Think Colorado Trail or AZT. I have completed routes around the country with success, but wondering if there are better tire options out there.

Last season for tires I ran:
Front: Maxxis Forekaster 2.35
Rear: Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35

I don't have major gripes with these tires, they were fast, light and performed well on most trails. Could there be something better?

This year I'm looking at running:
Front: Maxxis Rekon 2.6
Rear: Ardent Race 2.35

I'm looking for efficient tires that won't drag too much (have some 300+ mile goals), but can also grip in the corners for when I'm trying to "shredpack". Any other opinions for this type of riding?

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
Maxxis Ikon 2.35 TR work well for me, on 30mm (internal) rims. Sometimes a 2.4 Ardent TR in front but I don't notice much difference when I have a full bar bag. The Ikons are better on roads.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Maybe the Vittoria mezcal? I replaced my front ikon with a mezcal and it seems to be wearing less compared to the ikon. Rolls fast and grips better on wet roots,

·
Registered
190 Posts
As you inch up in size towards the plus tire label I'd highly recommend the Teravail Coronado. The Maxxis tires are very nice, and I don't think you will go wrong with those. I've ridden, MAxxis, WTB, and now the Teravails. I really like the performance of the Coronado and its durability seems good so far. The maxxis were always bomber for durability and rode great.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
I find that I wear out the sidewalls before the tread, with tubeless tires. The TR tires have substantially thicker sidewalls, which also allows a few lbs. less pressure, while lasting much longer. I ride mostly forest two track with lots of bushwacking thrown in when bikepacking, and sharp rocks are more of a threat than roots or mud. The maxxis wear like iron in these conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.