Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, with all this beautiful spring weather, my grass is growing and I gotta cut it soon....

I am in the market for a push mower and am soliciting some advice from those who use...I am hoping to find a Surly-like push mower...I would prefer to have larger wheels, my yard has a bump or two in it..

Any recommendations?
What ratio are y'all runnin'? :D
What should I look for?

Thanks and HappyTrails

giv'er

Attachments

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i went looking for a self powered push mower a year back as i have a pretty small yard.

then i realized wallyworld was selling gas powered lawn mowers for only 79 bucks a piece. this was significantly cheaper than the push mowers i saw.....

so i bought one and it works great (just made the first cut for year two yeaterday). i even looked at the air filter still fresh as a daisy.

i plan to run it into the ground and buy a new one. blade sharpening? oil change? your lawn mower must have cost more than 79 bucks.... :D

:p ain't that the american way??? :p

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
JAK,

you's always welcome to walk 2 blocks and borrow my gasoline eater and use it.

after buying my slob shack, I started looking into reel mowers with my usual internet tech geek fervor. what I concluded is that there are two companies that make reel mowers worth buying, Scott and Brill. but what disturbed me most was the frequent statement that reel mowers cannot cut tall or thick grass very well, therefore requiring you to be more anal about how often you cut your lawn. I hate cutting the lawn so I decided not to get one. But back to the Scott and Brill mowers...

Scott reel mowers are available at our nearest Ace Hardware (Tremper's shopping center).
Brill reel mowers are better made and have tighter tolerances, etc. They are said to operate more smoothly if that means anything to you. It didn't to me. Anyway, here's a sample of a Brill, at an on-line retailer: http://www.composters.com/docs/lawncare.html

Because I hate mowing the lawn, I went for a gasoline eating mower, as it's the only kind that can thrash through tall grass effectively. I also bought a weed wacker.

again, you're always welcome to borrow them.

hasta la pasta.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks Gonz, I planned on using yours at least a couple times, it'll be fun walking the mower through our ghetto...

Drevil, do you happen to know what model of Brill you have?? Lexus 33 or 38?

Much appreciation.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
JAK said:
Thanks Gonz, I planned on using yours at least a couple times, it'll be fun walking the mower through our ghetto...

Drevil, do you happen to know what model of Brill you have?? Lexus 33 or 38?

Much appreciation.
I believe I splurged for the 38. They were new to me, so let me know if you are interested in my pro/con list of reel mowers. I'll send a PM since I'm sure everyone on this board wants to hear about it. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
hey bub

i have a 20 yr old scott and it works well. i saw a push huquavarna at the local saw shop that looked sweet. all push mowers that i have seen have the spiral blades that are tough to shapen. get the file guide?

braze one on to the front of you hunter :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had a Scott and it seemed to work fine. As others have said, I did have to keep up on the mowing, and it never looked perfect, but it always looked good, if that makes any sense.

I ended up with a much larger yard and picked up a rechargable electric. It rocks pretty good too.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks y'all!

I appreciate it. I think my bikes will will dig hanging out in the garage with equipment that is more similar to themselves...

·
passenger/engine
70 Posts
Want an American Mower Co.

JAK said:
I appreciate it. I think my bikes will will dig hanging out in the garage with equipment that is more similar to themselves...
push reel rig, for free? It is a bit rusty, but it works great. It is self sharpening. I just shot it with some WD-40 and it cuts well. I have had it for about 7 years, and haven't used it at all for the last 5 as my current yard is too damn hilly (not too hilly for sheep, but I don't have a fence). I could send you a pic. It weighs about 35 lbs. I was going to take it to the local Goodwill dropoff.

I'm in MD, 21204.

Cheers!

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Mycle said:
push reel rig, for free? It is a bit rusty, but it works great. It is self sharpening. I just shot it with some WD-40 and it cuts well. I have had it for about 7 years, and haven't used it at all for the last 5 as my current yard is too damn hilly (not too hilly for sheep, but I don't have a fence). I could send you a pic. It weighs about 35 lbs. I was going to take it to the local Goodwill dropoff.

I'm in MD, 21204.

Cheers!
Gaithersburg?

JAK and I live in Missoula, Montana 59801. shipping 35 lbs of reel mower here might cost $50-75. not a lot of traffic coming Missoula way, we're a bit isolated.

·
passenger/engine
70 Posts
Towson, MD

gonzostrike said:
Gaithersburg?

JAK and I live in Missoula, Montana 59801. shipping 35 lbs of reel mower here might cost $50-75. not a lot of traffic coming Missoula way, we're a bit isolated.
Yeah, Missoula is a far cry; probably a great place to live and ride though.

This mower isn't worth $50-75 for shipping. I think I'll post it in the freebies of the local craigslist.

Good luck with you mower hunt!

·
FIFI!
130 Posts
i got a john deere gassy from the junkyard for 10 bucks cause it didn't work. brought it home, changed the filter, changed the spark plug, flushed the tank and put in new fuel, puppy fired right up with not one glitch in the last 2 years of ownership. 5 speeds, came with a bag, and a couple of other little doodads that i really havn't found the need to play with.

jyards got tons of mowers like this, worth a shot. makes kind of a fun project too.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Towson, huh? I lived near Pimlico in Mt Washington from '91-94. learned how to fish with flies on the Gunpowder Falls. used to ride my el cheapo Trek 930 at Robt E Lee park across Falls Rd from Mt Washington.

·
passenger/engine
70 Posts
gonzostrike said:
Towson, huh? I lived near Pimlico in Mt Washington from '91-94. learned how to fish with flies on the Gunpowder Falls. used to ride my el cheapo Trek 930 at Robt E Lee park across Falls Rd from Mt Washington.
Yeah, I probably said howdy to you while riding in Robt. E. Lee park. I have been in this area since '91. I still ride in Robt. E. Lee a lot, from my house. I live upstream from lake Roland on Roland run. My kids fish Roland Run (catch and release). They aren't using flies yet, but they are asking to. Glad to hear you were making the best of the place while you were here. It does have its charms.

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.