Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yo, working on a MC rumble. need a tensioner. my LBS had a surly instigator. but I think I'm going to stay away from spring loaded tensioners. I need something that will be very strong and wont slip. I hate sloppy chains. I'm thinking about a rennen. I just need something that will handle DJ/a little FR, mostly AM/Trail/Climbs.

if you have to use a tensioner, what are you using? how is it working for you?

thanks. ohh and btw, its a 32X16 combo.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
How about figuring out a "magic" gear ratio?

Search "magic gear ratio calculator" or something like that on Google. You input your CS length and it gives you a ratio where you don't have to run a tensioner.

You do have vertical dropouts though right?

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Ojai Bicyclist said:
How about figuring out a "magic" gear ratio?

Search "magic gear ratio calculator" or something like that on Google. You input your CS length and it gives you a ratio where you don't have to run a tensioner.

You do have vertical dropouts though right?
the magic doesn't last long... something about the spell wearing off... or the chain stretches or something...

or, you could use a ghost ring inside the chain to take up slack.

haha, well snaky, just gotta clear some stuff out sometimes, and the time is now. cash in my pocket can be handier than some odd parts in the bin...
it just works out that the things I need for current projects are not what I have in my parts bin, but the parts in my bin are things I don't need at the moment, and the bin for these parts is too small of a bin or possibly the parts are too big for the bin in it's current state, so it will require either modification, or thinning out of the parts that fill up the bin.... I forgot where I was going with that... something about being part of binge drinking antics...

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my spare parts bin is so big, that parts are stored in my attic. almost 3 complete wheelsets, a kingpin, dropoff fork and a splice sit in the garage, a frame under my bed. shifters/cables inder my shirts in my dresser. could probably make a nother spare parts build after this is done.

sadly though, my next bike, I plan on picking up like a 90-95 Specialized rockhopper or stumpjumper. I want a vintage ride :p

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
it just works out that the things I need for current projects are not what I have in my parts bin, but the parts in my bin are things I don't need at the moment, and the bin for these parts is too small of a bin or possibly the parts are too big for the bin in it's current state, so it will require either modification, or thinning out of the parts that fill up the bin.... I forgot where I was going with that... something about being part of binge drinking antics...
You're weird, but I like that. Very funny rant.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
todd_freeride said:
sadly though, my next bike, I plan on picking up like a 90-95 Specialized rockhopper or stumpjumper. I want a vintage ride :p
the vintage rides arnt cheap.....specialized had made a few original rockhoppers, and my lbs got one, it was expensive, dont remember how much though

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
f0ggy said:
the vintage rides arnt cheap.....specialized had made a few original rockhoppers, and my lbs got one, it was expensive, dont remember how much though
I meant like ...an actual one. like just an old rockhopper that someone has. you can get them for like $150-200. it will be fun too. because I'll keep it as stock as I can and ride it like it was suppost to be ridden.

·
Registered
18 Posts
screw the tensioners that bolt on where the derailer goes. IMO it signifies every thing that is wrong with a derailer (hits stuff, and breaks, needs to be played with all the time etc. etc.) do what I did, get the boomarang from the mrp DRS chain tensioner. Push the roller down on your chain so it tensions.. You can even turn it upside down so it tensions at the top of your chain. This way it never hangs up on anything.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
ihatemybike said:
Doss, people do grinds on Rennens. Seems tough to me. Springy tensioner are the ones that suck like a derailer.
it could be possible, but I never did it as my Rennen was on my chromoly XC beater biker... but grindage possibility would also depend on how fragile your der. hanger is.. but you are right, the Rennen is thick and ready for some abuse...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.