Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of you full suspension kona riders converted over to singlespeed?

it seem like it would be a new challenge to riding and really make me want to ride my king kikapu more often. I guess you could say ive rode it hard and put it up wet. I rear end is noticably loose. some of the bolts need to be tightened up. Since i have a new freeride bike i was wanting to tear the whole thing down and build it back up nicely.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
there is a tensioner made for FS bikes. I think you can order it from prce point. If I had a second FS bike I wouldn't mind turning my kik into a SS. Curently I am turnign my hoss into a SS. I should be done this weekend. STOKED! good luck if it your second bike it wouldn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i remember seein something in mountain bike action about full suspension bikes getting a singlespeed makeover. that is what kinda got the wheels turning in my head. plus i wanna ride the thing more. if im gonna be hitting anything on the rough side i take my x7. i would use the kona to eat up single track and to help build up some 'stand and mash' stamina

i was also thinking about getting a little bit wider bars and a stubbier stem

·
Registered
82 Posts
i've got an 06 kik set up single speed using a derailuer as a tensioner. Works good, not as efficent as it is on a hard tail but with some skill you can mash uphill with hardly any noticable bob.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
A few years ago they had a singlespeed full suspension frame called the A. The pivot was concentric with the bottom bracket, which I guess helped out with the bobby bob when you stood up. I've never seen one in the flesh.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
the cowan has replaceable dropouts with a SS option. The piviot is concentric with the BB like grant said about the A. I saw an A in the local kona shop. I wasn't very impressed cause I had just started riding and did quite understand why some would wnat a SS. I was having a hard enough time making it through the trail with all the gears. Now I own a SS hoss, go figure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.