Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the latest setup on my '06 Jake the Snake. I found that, with a singlespeed chain, a 39/16 gear combo works out perfect to run without a tensioner.

The upside-down Mary bars are also a new addition. Our last cyclocross race weekend is coming up, and I think I'll jump into the singlespeed class with this.

I look forward to reading your comments.

Cheers,
MG

Attachments

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Is that a... Deore hub? Is there some sort of harmonic unbalance between that and the King headset?

Looks like a great bike to get coffee with, or turn into a fixie and then get coffee.

·
Art is Resistance
10,375 Posts
Debaser said:
Is that a... Deore hub? Is there some sort of harmonic unbalance between that and the King headset?

Looks like a great bike to get coffee with, or turn into a fixie and then get coffee.

Get coffee, sure. Or race! Or mountain bike!
FYI, 42/17 works perfect... i really need to take some pics of my pinky and show it off.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no joke...

djcrb9 said:
Get coffee, sure. Or race! Or mountain bike!
FYI, 42/17 works perfect... i really need to take some pics of my pinky and show it off.
that handlebar setup is super versatile. i'm running basically the same setup on my Salsa Dos Niner right now, and will run the setup on my Unit 2-9 too (hopefully... i'm still hoping/waiting for a frame to materialize).

woodman was running 42/17 on his moots and sait it was a pretty huge gear. for my meager power, that 39/16 will be perfect, especially at the venue we're racing on this weekend.

cheers,
mg

Attachments

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep...

Debaser said:

... that's a deore hub alright. can't get too pimpy with my 'cross bike, 'eh? it balances the dura ace rear hub nicely... what, you mean you're supposed to run matching wheels on a bike?!! hogwash... i like my mismatched wheels!

cheers,
mg

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
With that setup, you oughtta tear it up this weekend, show 'em who's boss, then get coffee from the dude in the vw bus.

that's a mighty fine lookin ride. wait til willy jo sees it!

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice rhymin' there rf...

... i got a good laugh outta' your rhymin' there rf. i'll definitely rip "it" up this weekend, but what "it" exactly is remains to be seen. i'll have fun regardless. i'm just getting over a little bout with the flu, so i'm extra thankful to just be feeling alive again.

cheers,
mg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts