Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally converted my new Tranny from 1x9 to SS. I run a 23t front cog using Trialtech trials cranks, so I figured it was a matter of installing a 16t rear cog with spacers, adjusting the chain length, then adjusting the slot machine appropriately.

Nope. "No plan survives contact with the enemy."

With a SS, the chain line along the top has plenty of clearance, but because of the way the frame drops below the BB to meet the chainstays, there isn't enough clearance if the chain runs from the rear cog straight back to the chainring. It rubs the frame!

So my options are to run a bigger chainring (which means changing cranks and possibly BB), or install a push-down chain tensioner just to create some clearance.

Just an FYI, I realize most Tranny owners are not going to run into this problem.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
miles wadsworth said:
Could you run a bigger cog and chainring to get the same gearing?
Probably. I think I can get splined rear cogs up to 22t, so I could run 32-22. However, that would require changing cranks. The trials-style cranks are threaded to take a standard rear screw-on cog, the type used on fixies. So far, I haven't found anything larget than a 23t in a screw-on. I actually wanted to keep small cogs to maximize clearance, but I seem to have gone too far.

However.... Times change and we must change with them. Any suggestions for lightweight but strong single ring cranks that fit an ISIS bottom bracket?

·
Registered
96 Posts
SS Crank suggestion

raganwald said:
Probably. I think I can get splined rear cogs up to 22t, so I could run 32-22. However, that would require changing cranks. The trials-style cranks are threaded to take a standard rear screw-on cog, the type used on fixies. So far, I haven't found anything larget than a 23t in a screw-on. I actually wanted to keep small cogs to maximize clearance, but I seem to have gone too far.

However.... Times change and we must change with them. Any suggestions for lightweight but strong single ring cranks that fit an ISIS bottom bracket?
Middleburn RS7 or RS8 cranks with the Uno chainring:

http://www.middleburn.co.uk/cranks_rs8.php

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
phat_tony said:
Middleburn RS7 or RS8 cranks with the Uno chainring:

http://www.middleburn.co.uk/cranks_rs8.php
I've had my eye on those for a while. They'd be fine for XC, but I'd need to do something else for AM riding, I would need a bash guard. Middleburn seems to sell spiders and what-not to fit the cranks.

Perhaps Santa will be kind to me this year! Until then, I've ordered a chain tensioner...

·
Registered
575 Posts
raganwald said:
I've had my eye on those for a while. They'd be fine for XC, but I'd need to do something else for AM riding, I would need a bash guard. Middleburn seems to sell spiders and what-not to fit the cranks.

Perhaps Santa will be kind to me this year! Until then, I've ordered a chain tensioner...
That is definitely the most cost effective route to take :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.