Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fatbikers / SingleSpeeders - any of those around?

I mostly ride SingleSpeed 29er these days and love it.

The more I think about it the more a single speed fatbike would make sense.

Where would I start? I would want to build up lightish. What frames have SS dropouts? Have any of you built up some SS fat rigs? Any help appreciated as I have no idea where to start and fatbike SSing isn't exactly mainstream google material.

The purpose of the build would be to rail trails, not to go touring. Good old fashioned fun railing single track.

Looking forward to hearing from SS fatbikers or people with similar ideas feeling like sharing.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
407 Posts
Look to Salsa I think their frames can easily go SS. I know there are folks on here that have them.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Fatback offers rocker dropout frames for SS conversion. Surly has always been ss compatible. Singular's new Puffin should be SS compatible, as Aiden Harding just rode a preproduction model in the Iditarod Trail Invitational 1000, coming in 2nd overall. Pretty sure every brand has been used as a SS at some point. People have been riding and racing SS fatbikes since fatbikes have been around. A little searching will turn up lots of info here. I've been running a regular dropout Fatback ss with a DMR tensioner since '09.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
My bikes are usually singlespeed.

One problem with doing this with fatbikes is that you can ride in deeper snow or softer surfaces than an ordinary bike, but you need much lower gearing for this. The lower gearing is usually much too low for other surfaces, ie if you gear for the trail, you'll be pushing the bike in the snow, or if you gear for the snow, you be spinning like a blender on the trail.

I have solved this by setting the bike up as a dingle speed.

Singlespeed compatible bikes: Any of the Surly variants, Salsa Mukluk with alternator dropouts, Singular Puffin, some 907s, and a host of others.

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts
Have you actually got your Puffin Velobike? I haven't seen any builds yet.

edit...just re-read and I understand what you said now. You were just listing it as an option.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Have you actually got your Puffin Velobike? I haven't seen any builds yet.

edit...just re-read and I understand what you said now. You were just listing it as an option.
I decided not to order one, because on any future fatbike I want the option of fitting a hubgear. That limits me to bikes with a 135mm offset rear (although I am working on a solution for that).

·
Registered
735 Posts
Check out the Boris from BD, it came with sliders. Looks like they have a couple in stock at $899 compared to $1799 if you bought the KHS version.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
My bikes are usually singlespeed.

One problem with doing this with fatbikes is that you can ride in deeper snow or softer surfaces than an ordinary bike, but you need much lower gearing for this. The lower gearing is usually much too low for other surfaces, ie if you gear for the trail, you'll be pushing the bike in the snow, or if you gear for the snow, you be spinning like a blender on the trail.

I have solved this by setting the bike up as a dingle speed...
I usually run singlespeed also, until the snow comes around. That's when I throw the gears (9 of 'em) on so I can crawl along in the white stuff.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
My Moonlander is a singlespeed bike with dual chainrings and cogs: 36/18 for commuting and easy trails, 33/21 for off-road.

When you're figuring out gearing, start with your preferred 29er gearing, add 1 tooth to the rear cog to compensate for diameter difference and then another tooth (or minus one of the chainring) for pulling the weight. So in my case 34/20 is the 29er gearing and 33/21 is the Moonlander gearing.

·
WNC Native
3,889 Posts
I went from a Custom SS 29er last year to a 2013 Mukluk SS build. I love it, not a single regret. I did play in 7-8" of very dry powdery snow once, but 99% of my time has been on dirt. I figured I would end up needing to go 1x9 or 1x10 on my Muk, however I'm very happy with it in the SS mode and have no plans to go geared in the foreseeable future.

SS and snow doesn't mix, I went fine as long as I could stay seated and spin. Once I stood it was goodbye rear traction!!

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Looks like production ss compatible frames:

Fatback - rocker model
9 zero 7 - slider model
Surly - rear facing horizontal/track ends
Salsa - 'swing' (rockers) with adapter
Singular - Eccentric BB(set screw I think)
Ventana - swinging sliders
KHS - sliders
Bikes Direct - various, sliders, rear facing horizontal/track ends
616 - optional sliders
Lynskey - sliders
Muru - sliders
Nicolai - sliders
Origin 8 - horizontal
Reeb - sliders
Schlick - sliders
Twenty2 - sliders
And just about every custom builder out there.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
It was a relief to remove the derailers from my Mukluk this year using the alternator dropouts. My previous winter bikes were normally fixed-gear 29ers. So just running the 170 rear hub with a single cog and spacer kit. Ridden a mix of snow and dirt since January. SS on snow is like SS on anything else, you live with the gear you bring. Most snow you can't really climb anything too steep anyway, and I can't recall my rear nate spinning out being a big problem. Front end washout is more likely. I did put on a 70mm stem and wide riser bars. Probably will put a Bud up front next winter. Shifty bits in a box in case I ever think I need them. Darn 3 boxes of shifty bits in my basement now. :madman:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here is my 2012 Necromancer I made into a SS. All steel and keeping it real. She weighs in at 28.9lbs. Went from a sub 20lb 29er SS to this and haven't ridden any other bike in the last 18 months. All of my bikes are SS and this is the only one I ride 12 months out of the year. Normal gear is 34x16 for trails and back roads. Went to a 34x19 for 1 winter race where I placed 1st. I was the only SS on the course.:eekster:

bike.jpg

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Here is my 2012 Necromancer I made into a SS. All steel and keeping it real. She weighs in at 28.9lbs. Went from a sub 20lb 29er SS to this and haven't ridden any other bike in the last 18 months. All of my bikes are SS and this is the only one I ride 12 months out of the year. Normal gear is 34x16 for trails and back roads. Went to a 34x19 for 1 winter race where I placed 1st. I was the only SS on the course.:eekster:

View attachment 882841
Nice clean looking rig!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Im considering throwing a tensioner on my bigfoot. Even here in eastern ontario i foundthat 90% of my riding could be ss. the other 10% is the day or 2 after a snowfall before trails get packed down and even then only a few hills would need to be walked up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Fatboy Expert, which i converted into a single speed. The frame is aluminum and the fork is carbon, so the weight is not that high. Due to the vertical dropouts i had to put on a chain tensioner.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts