Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help with cranks for my new KM. I'm looking for a single ring preferably with a 38 tooth ring (black). It will be paired with my White industries Dos-Eno 17/19 freewheel.

The SS specific cranks appear to be kind of hard to find in stock anywhere, at least the ones under $250.00. Is there a trick to buying a regular triple and replacing the existing ramped rings, or is that just a bad idea?

Anyway, I welcome the help and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
jimcross said:
Is there a trick to buying a regular triple and replacing the existing ramped rings, or is that just a bad idea?
The trick is chainline. I ride a 1x8 on my Karate Monkey using a triple crank and it took me a fair bit of work to get the chainline set right. Standard chainline for a multi-geared setup might not work for a single.

I use this setup, which gets the chainring in as close to the rear stay as I can:
- Deore square-taper crank (M460)
- Shimano UN-53 bottom bracket, 113mm with two 1mm spacers on drive side
- 32-tooth Blackspire non-ramped chainring in the middle position
- Envy bashguard on the outside

You'll need to measure (and maybe some trial and error) and figure out how wide a BB you need. Fortunately, Shimano square-taper BBs are both cheap and plentiful in a variety of sizes.

My whole set-up cost under $150. Plus, you'll be riding square taper so you can always go for more bling -- Phil wood BB or maybe some White or Paul cranks -- when you're feeling flush later on.

Regards,
Anthony

·
The devil is an angel too
7,330 Posts
Unless you go with a WI Eno (and even then) you may have to fiddle with the chainline even if you go with a "singlespeed crank" Which, in general, are standard cranks without granny ring holes and with a bashguard instead of a big ring.

If you are going with an external BB set up, I'd lean towards a RaceFace crank because they have some chainline adjustability. If you are not going with an external BB, I'd go with square taper and mess around with the BBs.

Oh, and you don't "need" to run a bashguard. You can just get short bolts (ask for track or BMX bolts at the shop) and be done with it. A bashguard may help keep the chain in the ring if you have minor chainline issues. A bonus of not running a bashguard is that you have two places to mount the ring (middle ring possition or big ring) which allows for some chainline adjustability.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with the last post. Race Face bottom brackets (external, ISIS and square taper) all allow for small amounts of chainline adjustment. Each crank/ bottom bracket system is usable for single speed (i use all three on my three bikes).

There is no need to specifically get a SS crank. Since you are using the White double freewheel I suggest you get a second chainring either two teeth larger or smaller and install it as well. It will give you the ability to "change gears" and is great for gearing up or down depending on what the day's ride is without changing your chain length or having to adjust your brakes.

If you really need/desire a bashguard you can just get longer chainring bolts and spacers and fasten it next to the outer ring.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Another Eno Vote

Put one on mine (KM) with a Phil BB. I can not see ever changing this set up...it is really sweet.

If you do, get the 113mm symmetric Phil bottom bracket...install it and forget it....it will outlast everything you own.

I consider this set up to be very economical in that I have owned several other crank sets and BBs that cost half as much but lasted only months....dollars per mile, sometimes the higher priced option is least expensive in the long run...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the great responses. They've been very helpful. I am trying really hard to be patient and build this on right the first time... I will post updates and pics as I have them. Thanks again

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just another option to throw in the mix....since you're going with a pretty big chainring, you can use any shimano octalink road crank, run the little (39t) ring on the outside, with an XTR octalink BB. Chainline works out pretty perfect for single speed, and road little rings aren't ramped or cutaway. The cranks barely clear, but you get a nice narrow Q factor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided on the ENO cranks (black) with the Phil symmetric BB. They should be here next week. I got my King headset in today, so I'm getting a little impatient now... Thanks for everyone's input. I'll post pics when I get it together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.