Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
icrider said:
anyone have any experience trying to make a bullit a single speed. looking for a good gear ratio as well 32/? or 22/?
Won't work because the rear chain length grows as you go through the travel.

mtnbikej

·
Registered
868 Posts
rumor said:
Pardon my ignorance, but why? :confused:
It is a good question.

Seems like SS has application as a lighter XCish bike, like the Superlight, or as a DJ bike with nothing to break like a Chameleon built really heavy for urban and DJ.

A bullit can be single speeded, but a gear that you can climb at all with will spin out on the downhill stuff that the bullit was meant to ride. If you gear it high enough for fast descents it's not going to be easy going on the climbs.

What is the goal of singlespeeding a buillit?

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
saw one last summer at Keystone, riding the lifts. guy had it setup purely as a DH ride. single ring guide up front, with an old XT rear mech in back for tensioning. i think he was running something like 36x16, but i don't recall exactly. he liked it, and it obviously worked for him. no dropped chains/missed shifts. seems like he picked a gear that worked for him.

not a bike to pedal uphill on, but whatever. when i'm at lift stuff, i tend to only use a couple gears; this guy had just stripped that down even more. i could see going to some sort of simple 3 or 4 cog setup in the back, especially if it's a lift bike, where you won't be riding up much.

and if you are strong enough, why not? no more crazy than any other SS offroad. my SS is set up 32x20. if i were to setup my bullit -clone SS, i'd probably go the about the same.

i'd think you'd need a nice long cage rear mech, with good tension on the chain. or something like the rohloff chain tensioner. some kind of decent front chainguide/bashring setup. and absolutely anal in setting up your chainline. no ramped rings or cogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.