Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a fairly seasoned racer (geared) that discovered the joys of singlespeeding about four months ago. I converted a older Bianchi Axis cross bike and road the hell out of it this summer. Long story short, I blew up the decade old rear wheel and replaced it with a used 700c freewheel compatible cheap hoop that I had around. But with this new (and did I mention cheap) rear wheel, my old rear der. that I was using to tension the chain has a hard time stretching all the way over to the ACS 17 tooth freewheel that I put on.

So....

I need advice on re-dishing the rear wheel, and most importantly, need some info on how far the Surly singleator can be adjusted. If anyone knows how long the device pushes towards the wheel, I would appreciate it. Also, any other fixes would be great. I have thought about getting some 3 mm spacers to push my 38 t. chainring closer to the frame as well.

For the surly, I will purchase it if the tensioner can throw the chain far enough over to continue to use this wheel and hub that was meant for a seven speed freewheel. I am a good wrench, having worked a few summers at multiple LBS's, so don't skimp on the technical answers. Currently I am at school though, and don't have access to measure a Surly and try it myself.

Sorry for the long post...help me please

peace

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Guesstimate

I gave my Surly away when going to EBB. Just from memory the adjustment seemd close to 1 1/2 inches and if that isn't enough all you need to do is find a longer rod than Surly provides.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts