Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
idaz said:
noob SSer trying to find info on the length, and climbing, of the course. Presumably you could do it rigid but would YOU?
Cheers,
idaz
People do actually do it, but I would not recommend it.

Depending on the course this year, I would estimate 5k of climbing and 45+ miles. La Milagrosa is one of the most technical courses, although if you are used to riding National C2C you should be fine.

Check out the other courses here if you want to compare. I think this year we will ride up to Prison Camp before dropping over Molino. I would be surprised if Italian Trap is included, but we will be riding tons of single track!

·
Registered
385 Posts
dtownmtb said:
Any thoughts on gearing for a 26er for this. Currently running 32x17. Thinking about going to 32x18 if the climbs are really steep. If they are more gradual, will probably stick with that.

Can any veterans or locals provide input?
Last year I rode 32x20 on my 29er and it wasn't too bad. There aren't any super steep climbs, but it will be 40+ miles and 6000+ feet of climbing and a lot of it is sustained. Depending on how strong you are, it is a toss up really.

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Maps

Course maps and GPS data are up at:

https://www.topofusion.com/race.php

Dejay upped the ante this year. It's the 2007 course, except he's added the High Chiva Loop for bonus climbing / suffering. :eekster:

I did it last year on a rigid Monocog. I'll pass on that for this year. Unless I can track down a SS with a *suspension fork* I'm going to sit this year's out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can't remember the last time I started a ride/race in mid January in shorts and a short sleeve jersey. The day was perfect and the riding was amazing. After 5-6ish hours in the saddle, getting lost, slashing my sidewall and still finding the desire to finish I couldn't of asked for a better experience. Dejay, "GREAT" event and I can't wait to do it next year...Hopefully Rudi will have another painting up for grabs:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.